How do I setup T-Mobile Alcatel Linkzone HotSpot as USB modem?
12/20/2019 3 7832
This article provides information on using the T-Mobile Alcatel Linkzone HotSpot as a modem with a SonicWall firewall.
At this time of the writing of this article T-mobile USA is not offering a traditional USB modem. The Linkzone Hotspot device is an alternative to a traditional USB modem, since it supports USB tethering. The Linkzone comes with a USB cable that can be used for this purpose.
- SonicOS 6.5.3 or newer is required.
- The Linkzone does not power up completely until the power button is pressed for 3 seconds. Unlike a typical USB modem, applying power to the USB connector will not completely power up the Linkzone. This issue is mitigated because the Linkzone has an internal battery. Because of the internal battery, the Linkzone will remain powered on during typical reboots of the firewall, short periods of time (several hours or less) when the firewall is off or short periods when the Linkzone's USB cable is disconnected. If the firewall is left powered off or disconnected from the modem for a long time and the Linkzone battery completely discharges, the Linkzone will power off. If the Linkzone is powered off, it must be connected to a powered USB port and the Linkzone's power button must be pressed for 3 seconds to power it on.
- By default WiFi is enabled in the Linkzone hotspot. Note: devices connected to the Linkzone's WiFi will not be known or protected by the SonicWall firewall. It is advised to disable the Linkzone's Wifi feature. Disabling the wifi will lengthen the battery life in case of power outage, and avoid interfering with other WiFi networks. The WiFi can be disabled using the Linkzone's management interface.
- connect linkzone to Windows PC
- load http://192.168.0.1 in browser. If the browser has an advertisement blocker enabled, please disable it.
- login, default password is admin
- select Settings → Basic Settings → Wi-Fi Switch → Disable → Apply
- verify the WiFi indicator on the Linkzone is off (not illuminated). See image below for location of WiFi indicator.
- Connect Linkzone to USB port of firewall using a high quality USB 2.0 A-Male to Micro B cable. The Linkzone comes with a USB cable.
- Configure the SonicOS software as you would any USB modem: How to configure 3G/4G dialup modems for WAN Failover