How to configure Equal Cost Multi-Path routing
03/26/2020 23 11054
The Equal Cost Multi-Path Routing is a new feature available on SonicOS 6.5 and later.
This feature enhances SonicWall routing and allows for the ability to load balance traffic across equal cost routes for a given destination. You can now configure up to four equal cost routes for a given destination and you can use both static and dynamic routes.
Together with Load Balancing, this feature will also provide route redundancy.
Additional information to keep in mind:
- Each gateway within a same ECMP entry has same chance to be selected as the next-hop.
E.g, if there are 4 GWs in an ECMP entry, generally in production each gateway will take 25% connections/traffics.
- Selection happens on new connection only. For packets belonging to an existed cache, they will use the gateway from the cache.
- If one gateway is down at runtime, it will be excluded from the selection until it’s back again.
E.g, a gateway down is determined by egress interface link status connected to the gateway.
The Equal Cost Multi-Path Routing can be easily configured from the static route configuration.
- Login to the firewall and navigate to the Manage tab
- Click Network | Routing and add a Static Route
- Configure it as needed and select Multi-Path Route
- Specify the number of gateways you want to use
- Select the equal cost gateways and interfaces
Now the traffic will be equally passed across the gateways.
NOTE: This feature can only be used with custom routes. For Default Static Routes, you can use the WAN Load Balancing feature.