Associating a New Unit to a Pre-Registered Appliance on MySonicWall for High Availability
03/26/2020 1113 13581
You can associate two SonicWall security appliances as HA Primary and HA Secondary on mysonicwall.com. Note that the Backup appliance of your High Availability pair is referred to as the HA Secondary unit on mysonicwall.com. After the appliances are associated as an HA Pair, they can share licenses.
You must purchase a single set of security services licenses for the HA Primary appliance. It is not required that the Primary and Backup appliances have the same security services enabled. The security services settings will be automatically updated as part of the initial synchronization of settings.
To use Stateful High Availability, you must purchase a Stateful High Availability Upgrade license for the Primary unit. Stateful High Availability is a licensed service that must be activated for the Primary appliance on mysonicwall.com. The license is shared with the Backup unit.
License synchronization is used in a high availability deployment so that the Backup appliance can maintain the same level of network protection provided before the failover. To enable high availability, you can use the SonicOS management interface to configure your two appliances as a High Availability pair in Active/Idle mode. Mysonicwall.com provides several methods of associating the two appliances. You can start by registering a new appliance, and then choosing an already-registered unit to associate it with. Or, you can associate two units that are both already registered. Or, you can start the process by selecting a registered unit and adding a new appliance with which to associate it.
NOTE: After registering new SonicWall appliances on mysonicwall.com, you must also register the Backup appliance from the SonicOS management interface while logged into its
individual management IP address. This allows the Backup unit to synchronize with the SonicWall license server and share licenses with the associated Primary appliance.
You can associate a SonicWall security appliance with another appliance of the same model when you first register it, or at any time after both appliances are already registered on mysonicwall.com. Procedures for different scenarios are provided in the following sections:
NOTE: You can remove an appliance from an association at any time.
Associating a New Unit to a Pre-Registered Appliance
This section describes how to add a new appliance from the My Product - Associated Products page of an already-registered SonicWall security appliance, and associate the two appliances so that they can use High Availability license synchronization. You can add a new secondary (Backup) unit to an existing Primary unit, or add a new Primary unit to an existing secondary unit.
To use this method, perform the following steps:
- Login to mysonicwall.com.
- On the main page under Most Recently Registered Products, click View all registered products.
- On the My Products page, under Registered Products, scroll down to find the appliance that you want to use as the existing unit. You can choose any supported appliance on the list, whether it is already an HA Primary or an HA Secondary, or neither. Click the product name or serial number.
- On the Service Management - Associated Products page, scroll down to the Associated Products section.
- Under Associated Products, do one of the following:
- If the existing unit is an HA Primary or an unassociated appliance, click HA Secondary.
- If the existing unit is an HA Secondary appliance, click HA Primary.
- On the My Product - Associated Products page, in the text boxes under Associate New Products, type the serial number and the friendly name of the new appliance that you want to register as the associated unit.
- Click Register.
- On the Product Survey page, optionally fill in the requested information and then click Continue.
- On the Create Association page, if multiple qualifying existing appliances are displayed, click the radio button to select the unit with which you want to associate the new unit. If you selected an existing HA Primary unit or unassociated unit in Step 3, the choices here will all be HA Primary. If you selected an existing HA Secondary unit in Step 3, the available selections here will be HA Secondary units.
- Click Continue.
- On the Service Management - Associated Products page, confirm at the top that the registration was successful, then scroll to the bottom to see the Associated Products and click either HA Primary or HA Secondary to display the unit(s) that are now associated with your newly registered appliance.
For configuring high availability in SonicOS enhanced please see How to Configure High Availability (HA) in SonicOS Enhanced?