How can I login to the appliance using the Command Line Interface (CLI)?
12/20/2019 110 29352
SonicWall UTM appliances provide support for command line interface (CLI) commands to monitor and manage the device.
NOTE: Only one session at a time can configure the SonicWall, whether the session is on the GUI or the CLI (serial console). For instance, if a CLI session goes to the config level, it will ask you if you want to preempt an administrator who is at config level in the GUI or CLI session.
The SonicWall CLI currently uses the administrator’s password to obtain access. SonicWall devices are shipped with a default password of password.
You may need to use the CLI for the following reasons:
- GUI is not accessible/freeze (hang)
- Configure BGP Protocol
- Apply some changes that can be made only by CLI
- Export some diagnostic files
- Attach the included null modem cable to the appliance port marked CONSOLE. Attach the other end of the null modem cable to a serial port on the configuring computer.
N.B. You may use an adapter DB9 Male to USB if you don't have any PC with the serial Port.
- Launch any terminal emulation application that communicates with the serial port connected to the appliance (PuTTY, TeraTerm Pro,SecureCRT, HyperTerminal, etc.)
Use these settings:
- 115,200 baud
- 8 data bits
- no parity
- stop bit
- no flow control
When the connection is established, log in to the security appliance:
- At the User: prompt enter the Admin’s username. Only the admin user will be able to login from the CLI. The default Admin username is admin. The default can be changed.
- At the Password: prompt, enter the Admin’s password. If an invalid or mismatched username or password is entered, the CLI prompt will return to User:, and a “CLI administrator login denied due to bad credentials” error message will be logged. There is no lockout facility on the CLI.
You may find helpful the following KBs:
How to Make a Console Cable
How to export SonicWall UTM console logs to a file
How to Generate TSR (Tech Support Report) from CLI (Command Line Interface)
How to obtain diagnostic Logs/data from console cable connection when Firewall is freezing/locking
How to restart SonicWall from GUI as well as CLI
How To Put the SonicWall into Safe Mode
How to configure web-management using CLI on SonicOS 5.9
How to create Static route using Command Line Interface
Creating Address Objects and Groups in Command-Line Interface
How to check the memory usage of the SonicWall UTM appliance using the Command Line Interface
How to open Standard port to a server using CLI
How To Disable Client Certificate Check via CLI
Delete all User Groups from LDAP via CLI
How To Check Peak Connections from CLI