In the Screen Size drop-down menu, select the default terminal services screen size to be used when users execute this bookmark. (Option available for all Terminal Services.)
Because different computers support different screen sizes, when you use a remote desktop application, you should select the size of the screen on the computer from which you are running a remote desktop session. Additionally, you might want to provide a path to where your application resides on your remote computer by typing the path in the Application Path field.
- In the Colors drop-down menu, select the default color depth for the terminal service screen when users execute this bookmark. (Option available for all Terminal Services.)
- Select an Access Type Selection. Smart or Manual.
Smart: Allows the firmware to decide which mode to launch on the client.
When creating a new unified bookmark, Smart is selected by default. Auto-detection is processed using bookmark-specific default modes while launching the bookmark.
Manual: Provides options to configure the modes, their priorities, and the choose method. At least one mode should be enabled in the selection box.
The launch sequence is as follows: HTML5 and Native. Selecting Manual allows you to change, enable, or disable the launch methods. If you select Native to launch the RDP bookmark, then the SMA Connect Agent launches the RDP Client on the local machine to do the RDP connection.
The up and down arrows are used to adjust the launch priority. Fork and tick are used to disable or enable the modes. Disabled modes are put at the bottom of the list with a gray font color.
The Choose during Launch option is not enabled by default under the Manual mode. In this setting, while launching the bookmark, the first available mode in the configured list is run at once after auto-detection.
After the Choose during Launch option is enabled, while launching the unified bookmark, if there are multiple modes available for the client, a menu is provided from which you can choose within a five second count-down. When only one mode is available, the bookmark is also run immediately.
If the Remember my choice option is selected during the launch time, the selected mode is remembered through a cookie.
That means, when next launching the bookmark, the remembered mode is run directly within two seconds. Clicking anywhere in the HTML can 'forget' the remembered mode so you can re-choose.
Editing or deleting the bookmark in the same browser can also reset the remembered mode.
- Select Enable wake-on-LAN to enable waking up a computer over the network connection. Selecting this check box causes the following new fields to be displayed: (Options available for all Terminal Services.)
- MAC/Ethernet Address – Enter one or more MAC addresses, separated by spaces, of target hosts to wake.
- Wait time for boot-up (seconds) – Enter the number of seconds to wait for the target host to fully boot up before cancelling the WoL operation.
- Send WOL packet to host name or IP address – To send the WoL packet to the hostname or IP of this bookmark, select Send WOL packet to host name or IP address that can be applied in tandem with a MAC address of another machine to wake.
- Optionally enter the local path for this application in the Application and Path field and specify the folder in the Start in the following folder field. The remote application feature displays a single application to the user. The value might also be the alias of the remote application.
- Enter the Command-line Arguments for the RemoteApp. (Option available for ActiveX only.)
- In the Start in the following folder field, optionally enter the local folder in which to execute application commands. (Option available for ActiveX only.)
- Select Login as console/admin session to allow login as console or admin. Login as admin replaces login as console in RDC 6.1 and newer. (Option available for all Terminal Services.)
Select the Server is TS Farm if users are connecting to a TS Farm or Load Balanced server.
In Windows 2012, there is a new way to do the redirection (load balance). The RDP client can connect to the broker server directly, and then the broker server returns the redirection information to the client. The RDP client can connect to the RDP Host in the “Collection.”
When you access the Windows 2012 RD Web, download the RDP file by clicking the item on the page. The RDP file contains a line with the following string:
“loadbalanceinfo:s:tsv://MS Terminal Services Plugin.1.<CollectionName>”
<CollectionName> is the collection name in the user’s farm. This line is the “Load Balance Information.” The broker server needs this information to do the load balancing (redirection).
Enter the Terminal Services Broker information in the Load Balance Info box, such as
tsv://MS Terminal Services Plugin.1.SSLVPN. Maximum length is 1024 characters. For the bookmark with complex options (like RDP), options are mixed from all the modes and distinguished with tips like *non-html5, or *for html5.
By default, the bookmark only connects to the provided name and IP address. If you enable this feature, the SMA appliance obtains the redirected address and connects the user to the correct server. Note that Interactive Login might need to be disabled for this feature to work properly.
For RDP - HTML5, select the Default Language from the drop-down menu.
- For Windows clients or on Mac clients running Mac OS X 10.5 or higher with RDC installed, expand Show advanced Windows options and select the check boxes to redirect the following features on the local network for use in this bookmark. For RDP - HTML5 or Native, few of the following Advanced Windows options are available:
- Desktop background
- Menu/window animation
- Show window contents while dragging/resizing
- Redirect clipboard
- File Share
- Redirect SmartCards
- Bitmap caching
- Visual styles
- Remote copy
- Redirect printers
- Redirect ports
- Display connection bar
- Select the Remote Audio option from the drop-down menu. Audio redirection enables the user to play an audio clip on the server, either remotely or locally. Valid selections are Play on this computer, Play on remote computer, or Do not play. Note that this feature is currently supported by Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
- If the client application is RDP6, you can select any of the following options: (Option available for all Terminal Services)
- Font smoothing
- Span monitors
- Desktop composition
- Dual monitors
- Remote application
- Select the Connection Speed from the drop-down menu (low-speed broadband or high-speed broadband) for optimized performance. (Option available for all Terminal Services.)
- Select the action from the drop-down menu that happens if the Server Authentication fails. Server authentication verifies that you are connecting to the intended remote computer. The strength of the verification required to connect is determined by your system security policy. (Option available for all Terminal Services.)
Click Import RDP Options. When the RDP file finishes downloading, open it with a text editor (such as Notepad) and select the entire file content. Copy the content and paste the text into the text field in Import RDP Options. Click OK. The feature selects the support options to import into the bookmark.
The following table lists the RDP options and the RDP file options.
|Bookmark Field||RDP Option|
|Name or IP Address||full address:s:<value>|
|Load Balance Info||loadbalanceinfo:s:<value>|
|Desktop Background||disable wallpaper:i:<value>|
|Menu/Window Animation||disable menu anims:i:<value>|
|Visual Styles||disable themes:i:<value>|
|Show Window contents while dragging/resizing||disable full window drag:i:<value>|
|Redirect clipboard & Remote Copy||redirectclipboard:i:<value>|
|Display connection bar||displayconnectionbar:i:<value>|
|Font smoothing||allow font smoothing:i:<value>|
|Span monitors||span monitors:i:<value>|
|Dual monitors||use multimon:i:<value>|
|Desktop composition||allow desktop composition:i:<value>|
|Choose your connection speed to optimize performance||connection type:i:<value>|
Optionally select Automatically log in and select Use SSL-VPN account credentials to forward credentials from the current Secure Mobile Access session for log in to the RDP server. Enable the Use Login Domain for SSO option to pass the user’s domain to the RDP server. Windows 2008 and newer servers might require this option to be enabled. (Option available for all Terminal Services.)
Select Use custom credentials to enter a custom username, password, and domain for this bookmark.
Select Display Bookmark to Mobile Connect clients to display the bookmark on mobile devices. (Option available for all Terminal Services.)
Verify access and configuration is setup properly outside the remote access appliance first by connecting with NetExtender then running your RDP client to connect as if you would, were you inside your network. If NetExtender is unable to connect properly there is likely another device or setting on the network that needs to be configured properly.
Refer to your server's guide or contact Microsoft for additional help regarding Terminal Server settings if the provided instructions do not work for you to change the settings.