SMA 500v Virtual Appliances
The SMA 500v Virtual Appliances are virtual machines that run the SMA software on virtual platforms such as AWS, Azure, ESXi, Hyper-V, and KVM. All software components, features, and functionality described in this guide are supported by the SMA 500v virtual appliances, except High Availability is only available for use on ESXi, Hyper-V, and KVM deployments.
Deploying SMA as a virtual appliance allows leveraging of shared computing resources to optimize utilization, easy migration, and reduced capital costs. The SMA 500v Virtual Appliance provides the following benefits:
- Cost savings:
- Multiple virtual machines can run on a single server, reducing hardware costs, power consumption, and maintenance costs.
- Microsoft Windows Server is not required, eliminating the cost of the Windows license.
- Operational ease:
- In a virtual environment, it is easy to commission new servers or decommission old ones, or to bring servers up or down.
- Installation is accomplished by importing a file into the virtual environment, with no need to run an installer.
- The SMA 500v Virtual Appliance provides the same hardened operating system that comes with the SMA hardware appliances.
The elements of basic virtual structure must be implemented prior to deploying the SMA 500v Virtual Appliance. For detailed information about deploying the SMA 500v Virtual Appliance, see the SonicWall Inc. SMA 500v Virtual Appliance Getting Started Guides, available at: SMA Documentation.
Was This Article Helpful?
Help us to improve our support portal