Wireless: Improve your wireless network environment
03/26/2020 1188 11913
DESCRIPTION: Improve your wireless network environment
RESOLUTION: How to improve your wireless network environment
• Place the wireless appliance near the center of your intended network. This can also reduce the possibility of eavesdropping by neighboring wireless networks.
• Minimize the number of walls or ceilings between the wireless appliance and the receiving points such as PCs or laptops.
• Try to place the wireless appliance in a direct line with other wireless components. Best performance is achieved when wireless components are in direct line of sight with each other.
• Building construction can make a difference on wireless performance. Avoid placing the wireless security appliance near walls, fireplaces, or other large solid objects. Placing the wireless security appliance near metal objects such as computer cases, monitors, and appliances can affect performance of the unit.
• Metal framing, UV window film, concrete or masonry walls, and metallic paint can reduce signal strength if the wireless security appliance is installed near these types of materials.
• Installing the wireless security appliance in a high place can help avoid obstacles and improve performance for upper stories of a building.
• Neighboring wireless networks and devices can affect signal strength, speed, and range of the wireless security appliance. Also, devices such as cordless phones, radios, microwave ovens, and televisions may cause interference on the wireless security appliance.
• The antennas on the wireless security appliance can be adjusted for the best radio reception. Begin with the antennas pointing straight up, and then adjust as necessary. Note that certain areas, such as the area directly below the wireless security appliance, get relatively poor reception. Pointing the antenna directly at another wireless device does not improve reception. Do not place the antennas next to metal doors or walls as this can cause interference.