WiFi disconnects on Apple devices seconds after the connection
03/26/2020 45 11707
The WiFi on Apple devices drops seconds after the connection: It only happens when a captive portal or web authentication is being used on the SonicWall to allow internet traffic.
This issue is due to the Apple Captive Portal: everytime you connect to the WiFi, iOS will check the connectivity by querying via HTTP "captive.apple.com". If you have a rule blocking the Internet traffic until the successful authentication, this traffic won't get a response, so the WiFi will be disconnected.
This issue can be resolved by:
- disabling the Captive Portal on the Apple devices.
- creating an Access Rule on the SonicWall to allow with no authentication all the traffic to captive.apple.com
If you decide to create the access rule, please follow the steps below:
- Create a FQDN Address Object for "captive.apple.com" from Network | Address Objects
- Create an Access rule to allow all the traffic to the Address Object above:
The situation will now be as below:
- The first ACL will allow DNS traffic
- The second ACL will allow traffic to captive.apple.com
- The third ACL will trigger the authentication page