Support on SonicWall Products, Services and Solutions
Browse Knowledgebase by Category
Why does the Android device ID / equipment ID change in Android 8.0 (Oreo) or later?
03/26/2020 8 10755
This article covers the change in behavior for Android Mobile Connect 5.0 or later for evaluating EPC policies based on device ID.
Android 8.0 / Android Oreo / Android "O" has introduced behavioral change by developers of Android OS. More info could be found on Google's Documentation.
What Causes Device ID / Equipment ID Change:
- Install MC on an Android version below 8.0 (Oreo).
- Perform an over-the-air upgrade of the Android OS to version 8.0+.
- At this point, the MC device ID will still be the same.
- Uninstall Mobile Connect App.
- Reinstall Mobile Connect App.
- Now the MC device ID will change one time, and should not change again on future reinstalls.
- Login to Secure Mobile Access and navigate to Management Console | User Access | End Point Control | Zone | Device Profile | New | Android | Type Equipment ID.
- Select Match profile if user has no registered device or to capture new Unique Device Identifier generated for Android 8.0 (Oreo).
- Once the user logs in the New Device Identifier could be captured from Monitoring | Logging | View Logs | Unregistered device log:
NOTE: Equipment ID Change is a one-time change and safe for all future upgrades.
- Upgrading Mobile Connect to 5.0 or any future version.
- Upgrading Android OS to any particular version (provided that MC is not uninstalled).
Affected Mobile Connect versions:
Since this is an OS change, not a change in Mobile Connect, all MC Android versions are affected. These include:
- MC Android 5.0..
- MC Android 4.0.x, which is currently in the store.
- All previous versions of MC Android.
This is similar to the IOS issue Device ID changes on iOS devices when upgrading to Mobile Connect 5.0.