Troubleshooting scenarios where the SonicWall DHCP pool runs out of addresses
12/20/2019 61 18510
This article explains how to troubleshoot situations where the SonicWall logs mention "DHCP Resources of this pool ran out"
This is usually caused by
- Too many devices in the network, i.e the DHCP pool is actually exhausted.
- IP addresses are not getting recycled from devices that have left the network.
- For the first situation mentioned above, the DHCP scope has to be increased to accommodate the new devices.
- For the second situation, changes can be made on the SonicWall by:
- Navigating to Manage | Network | DHCP Server. Edit () the existing DHCP scope and change the Lease Time option to a lower value (The default is 1440 minutes)
- Navigate to the diag.html page of the firewall. Check the "Aggresively recycle expired DHCP leases in advance" option. This will ensure unused addresses are freed.
- Change the values for Time interval of DHCP lease database to be refreshed and Number of DHCP leases in database to be refreshed. The former recycles the lease database more frequently and the latter recycles more leases at a time.