SMB SSL-VPN: Upgrading SRA virtual appliance from 8.1 (or older) to SMA 8.5 (or newer)
SRA Virtual Appliance running SMA 8.1 or older, cannot be upgraded to SMA 8.5 because of operating system changes in the SMA 500v software. Instead, you must reconfigure the virtual machine, as explained in the following steps:
1. Export the configuration settings from the old virtual appliance, as explained in Exporting a copy of your configuration settings.
2. Make a note of the serial number and authentication code of the old virtual appliance. You can find these on the System > Status page.
3. Shut down and power off the old virtual appliance.
4. In MySonicWall, click Downloads to open the Download Center page.
5. In the Software Type drop-down list, select SMA 500v Virtual Appliance.
6. In the results table, click the SMA 500v Virtual Appliance link to download the OVA file and save it to your local machine.
7. Deploy a new SMA 500v virtual appliance using the SMA 8.5 OVA file downloaded from http://www.mysonicwall.com.
8. Power on the new SMA 500v and configure the X0 interface using the command line interface (CLI).
9. Log in to the new SMA 500v as “admin” and import your saved configuration settings. Secure Mobile Access 8.5 BETA 60 Release Notes
10. In MySonicWall, click the serial number of the old SRA Virtual Appliance. On the Service Management page for it, click Delete to delete licensing for the old virtual appliance. If you are unable to delete the licensing, contact SonicWall support.
11. Register the new SMA 500v from the System > Licenses page. Enter the serial number and authentication code. This transfers all the licensed services from the old SRA Virtual Appliance to the new SMA 500v.
Note:-A system running 8.0 is incrementally upgraded going from version 8.0 to 8.1, then 8.1 to 8.5, 8.5 to 8.6, 8.6 to 9.0, and then it can be upgraded from 9.0 to 10.0.
Skipping versions may work, but is not recommended. Skip versions at your own risk.