SMA Secure Upgrade Program Guide
03/26/2020 15 8204
SMA 6000/7000 hardware has been in Active Retirement since November 2016. Beginning November 2018 the appliances will transition to Limited Retirement and starting November 2019 will no longer be supported by SonicWall.
The SMA 1000 Secure Upgrade Program allows customers with these older hardware platforms to upgrade to new virtual or hardware appliances as their Support expires.
- Decide on the new deployment model (e.g. hardware appliance or virtual appliance, central management with Global HA). See list of Upgrade Options below.
- Purchase the appropriate SMA 1000 Secure Upgrade Program (SUP) package. See list of Secure Upgrade Plus SKUs below.
- Decide on the SMA version you will upgrade to. The recommended version for most customers is SMA 12.1.
- Setup a parallel SMA VPN consisting of the new appliance(s):
- Stand up a parallel SMA VPN with the new appliance(s) preferably with SMA Version 12.1 and latest hotfix.
- Export your configuration settings from the old SMA VPN and Import the configuration into the new SMA environment.
- Contact SonicWall Customer Service (1.888.793.2830) to transfer user licenses and any remaining support to your new SMA environment.
- Validate everything works as expected in your new environment.
- Contact SonicWall Support if you have questions on setting up the new SMA
- Migrate users to the new SMA VPN infrastructure
- If your users are connecting with the Connect Tunnel CT client, they should upgrade the client to the new version of CT.
- Contact SonicWall Support if you have questions on migrating users to the new SMA environment.
- Decommission your old SMA 6000/7000 appliance(s)
- Once you have the new SMA infrastructure operational and in Production, you should decommission the old SMA 6000/7000 appliances.
- The old hard drives should be destroyed or zeroed-out.
- Upgrade from an SMA Hardware Appliance to an SMA Virtual Appliance: Recommended
- The SMA 8200v runs the same firmware and has the same set of features as SMA hardware appliances
- The Admin console and User experience is the same as hardware appliances
- SMA 8200v may be running on VMWare ESXi or Microsoft Hyper-V
- By running virtual SMA appliances you can leverage existing virtual infrastructure and all the high availability options that come with a virtual infrastructure and thereby reduce costs
- Upgrade from a SMA Hardware Appliance to newer version SMA Hardware Appliance
- Standalone SMA 6000/7000 to standalone SMA 6200/72000
- Upgrade SMA HA Pair hardware to SMA Virtual Appliance SMA 8200v (on ESXi or Hyper-V)
- Leverage the virtual infrastructure's ability to quickly restore an appliance that fails (from backup or snapshot)
- Upgrade SMA HA Pair hardware to CMS with Global HA (and Disaster Recovery)
- The HA Pair model is no longer supported has been replaced with Global HA and CMS
- Upgrade HA Pair of SMA 6000 or 7000 to CMS with SMA 8200v (on ESXi or Hyper-V) - Recommended
- Upgrade HA Pair of SMA 6000 or 7000 to CMS with SMA 6200s or 7200s (or any combination of HW and virtual appliances)
Transfer of Licenses and Support:
- As part of the Secure Upgrade Program existing user licenses and any remaining Support can be transferred to the new installation.
- Possible user license transfers are:
- User licenses on SMA 6000/7000 transfer to SMA 6200/7200/8200v.
- User licenses on SMA 6000/7000 transfer to CMS as perpetual pooled licenses.
- User licenses on SMA HA Pair can transfer to SMA 6200/7200/8200v, or to CMS as as perpetual pooled licenses.
- SMA user licenses transfer at at 1:1 ratio. For example:
- 100 user licenses on standalone SMA 6000/7000 transfer as 100 user licenses on SMA 6200/7200/8200v.
- 100 user licenses on standalone SMA 6000/7000 transfer as 100 CMS Pooled Perpetual user licenses.
- 100 user licenses on HA Pair (50 on each SMA node) transfer as 100 user licenses on SMA 6200/7200/8200v, or 100 CMS Pooled Perpetual user licenses.
- Remaining support transfer at at 1:1 ratio. For example:
- 6 months of remaining Support on standalone SMA 6000/7000 transfer as 6 months of Support on SMA 6200/7200/8200v.
- 6 months of remaining Support on standalone SMA 6000/7000 transfer as 6 months of CMS Pooled Perpetual Support (for equivalent number of user licenses).
Secure Upgrade Plus SKUs :
- 02-SSC-0860: SMA 8200v SECURE UPGRADE PLUS 24X7 SUPPORT 100 USER 1 YR
- 02-SSC-0862: SMA 8200v SECURE UPGRADE PLUS 24X7 SUPPORT 100 USER 3 YR
- 02-SSC-0394: SMA 6200 SECURE UPGRADE PLUS 24X7 SUPPORT 100 USER 1 YR
- 02-SSC-0395: SMA 6200 SECURE UPGRADE PLUS 24X7 SUPPORT 100 USER 3 YR
- 02-SSC-0396: SMA 7200 SECURE UPGRADE PLUS 24X7 SUPPORT 250 USER 1 YR
- 02-SSC-0397: SMA 7200 SECURE UPGRADE PLUS 24X7 SUPPORT 250 USER 3 YR
- 02-SSC-2895: SONICWALL SMA 7210 SECURE UPGRADE PLUS 24X7 SUPPORT 250 USER 1YR
- 02-SSC-2896: SONICWALL SMA 7210 SECURE UPGRADE PLUS 24X7 SUPPORT 250 USER 3YR
- 02-SSC-2893: SONICWALL SMA 6210 SECURE UPGRADE PLUS 24X7 SUPPORT 100 USER 1YR
- 02-SSC-2894: SONICWALL SMA 6210 SECURE UPGRADE PLUS 24X7 SUPPORT 100 USER 3YR
NOTE: There is no separate secure upgrade SKU for CMS.
Customers moving from EX6000/7000 to CMS + (SMA 6200/6210/7200/7210/8200v) model need to add one of the following CMS SKUs as a part of the sales/purchase order:
- 01-SSC-3369: SMA CMS BASE + 3 APPLIANCES LICENSE NON-TRIAL USED WITH PERPETUAL USER LICENSES
- 01-SSC-3402: SMA CMS 100 APPLIANCES LICENSE 1YR NON-TRIAL USED WITH PERPETUAL USER LICENSES
- 02-SSC-1465: SMA CMS 100 APPLIANCES LICENSE 3YR NON-TRIAL USED WITH PERPETUAL USER LICENSES
NOTE: After completing the above steps please work with our Customer Service team (1-888-793-2830) to transfer license and support.
Other Upgrade Considerations:
- The old HA Pair model is no longer supported. The new HA model is Global HA with CMS.
- If end-users use the Connect Tunnel client, they should upgrade the client as well.
- If you are using EPC (Endpoint Control) you will need to transition from OPSWAT v3 to OPSWAT v4
- Additional licenses that you may have for SMA (e.g. FIPS Support or Spike licenses) will also need to be transitioned. Please contact Customer Service.
- Capture ATP is a service and NOT a product association in MySonicWall.com.
- For license transfer through Customer Support, please provide the existing license count/support validity.
- In the event of mismatch between existing SMA license/support and new CMS license/support, the highest license count/support validity will be taken into consideration.
- For remote implementation support of NEW/SUP CMS/SMA deployment, please purchase the following SKU: 01-SSC-4357 SONICWALL REMOTE IMPLEMENTATION SMA 1000 SERIES.