Support on SonicWall Products, Services and Solutions
Browse Knowledgebase by Category
SMA 1000 Series Hotfix Update or Rollback Recommendation
10/12/2021 4 1257
Best practices for upgrading SMA 1000 series firmware or applying hotfixes.
Procedure for updating or removing hotfixes on SonicWall SMA 1000 series devices:
- All hotfixes for supported firmware versions are released quarterly.
- Hotfixes are released and web-posted on MySonicwall for SMA 1000 and are cumulative.
- Hotfixes released are supported with a Technote (Must Read) for all administrators. There are Pform & Clt hotfixes (Pform hotfixes are recommended to be applied first and then CLT hotfixes).
- While removing hotfixes it is recommended to remove the CLT-hotfix first and then the Pform-hotfix for specific versions.
- All hotfixes are recommended to be applied from a PC internal to the network where the device is being placed.
- Hotfixes are not recommended to be applied over VPN or any other external network.
- All hotfixes are to be applied to the managed appliance first and then Central Management Server. For standalone appliances apply the Pform hotfix first and then the CLT hotfix.
- The MD5 checksum value is provided to check file Integrity of the hotfix post download.
- Customers are recommended to have console access to their appliances for troubleshooting any failures.
- Appliance configuration backup is ideal prior to applying hotfix or removal of hotfix.
- It is recommended to take a backup of the configuration.
- Having console access to the device is recommended but not mandatory.
- It is recommended for ESXI based deployments to shutdown the appliance and take a snapshot of the instance prior to applying the hotfix.
- For Hyper-V, AZURE or AWS deployments:
- It is recommended to take a backup of the configuration and then shutdown the instance and have a new instance created.
- It is recommended to apply the latest hotfix and then have the configuration imported.