When performing upgrades on clients or reinstalling a client on a previously protected endpoints, duplicate entries may be seen as part of the Devices list for a Capture Client tenant. in some cases, this may consume additional licenses as well reducing the capacity for the tenant and possibly leaving some clients as Unlicensed.
Every Capture Client endpoint is identified by a unique Device ID that is generated from hardware parameters like BIOS, hard disk and CPU model. If this Device ID changes for an endpoint because of a client update or a change in some hardware parameters then the endpoint will register to the tenant as a new endpoint, leaving the older entry as a duplicate and offline entry.
To eliminate this duplicate entry, the following steps must be taken:
1. Login to the Capture Client console
2. Navigate to the Devices page
3. Filter your endpoints to look for Offline entries and identify which of them are actually duplicate entries:
4. First Decomission the device and Remove/Delete the device from the list. Multiple devices can be decommissioned and deleted by selecting multiple entries and using the bulk action button .
5. The Delete Action shoud be performed only after the client is decommissioned. A decommissioned client will have a status that looks like this:
Decommissiong a client also releases a license from usage. which will then be available for any unlicensed clients that are trying to register to the tenant.