Registering and Licensing SonicWall GMS
03/26/2020 1150 21385
All instances of SonicWall GMS must be registered and licensed before use. This requirement applies to both single server deployments and distributed deployments on multiple servers, to fresh or upgraded installations, and to software installations on Windows servers and SonicWall UMA appliances.
Registering / Licensing SonicWall GMS After a Fresh Install
SonicWall GMS registration is performed using the SonicWall Universal Management Host (UMH) system interface. When installing SonicWall Universal Management Suite on a server, or host, a Web server is installed to provide the UMH system interface. The system interface is available by default at http://localhost/appliance after restarting the system.
To complete registration, the system must have access to the Internet and you must have a MySonicWall account. The SonicWall License Manager, available on the System | Licenses page of the UMH system interface, allows you to log in and enter your registration information on the SonicWall registration site, mysonicwall.com.
NOTE: MySonicWall registration information is not sold or shared with any other company.
The License Manager provides a way to register the product as either SonicWall GMS or SonicWall Analyzer. Your choice determines the remaining installation process after registration and licensing are completed. In this guide, SonicWall GMS registration is described.
To register and license SonicWall GMS on this server, perform the following steps:
- Double-click the SonicWall Universal Management Suite desktop icon or open a Web browser and enter http://localhost/appliance to launch the UMH system interface.
NOTE: If you specified a custom port (a port other than the default port 80), modify the URL as follows: http://localhost:/. For example, if you specified port 8080, the URL would be http://localhost:8080/appliance.
The login page loads by default in English, type admin in the User field, and password in the Password field and then click Submit. SonicWall GMS includes language support for English, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese. Click the language of your choice at the bottom of the page.
The Login page reloads to force a password change. Type a new password into both the New Password and Confirm New Password fields, and then click Login.
- If the software detects that the Windows Firewall is enabled on the system, a warning dialog box is displayed on top of the System | Status page. To receive syslog and SNMP packets, either disable the Windows Firewall or configure it to open these ports (default syslog port is UDP 514 and default SNMP port is UDP 162). When ready, click OK. Optionally, you can select the Perform this check after 30 days checkbox if you do not plan to disable the Windows Firewall immediately, and do not wish to see this warning every time you login. The check for Windows Firewall cannot be disabled completely, and if you leave it running you will see this alert after the 30-day delay. You can repeat the delay as many times as needed.
- On the System | Status page, the Registration Pending notification across the top of the screen indicates that the system is not registered, the Serial Number status is UNKNOWN, and the License status displays Not Licensed. To begin registration, click the Register button in the top, right corner.
- On the License Management page, type your MySonicWall user name and password into the appropriate fields and then click Submit.
Note: If you do not have a MySonicWall account, you must create one before continuing. Click here in the sentence, If you do not have a mySonicWall account, please click here to create one.
- On the second License Management page, type your 12-character software serial number into the Serial Number field and your authentication code into the Authentication Code field.
Note: If this is the first SonicWall GMS that you are registering in a multi-server deployment, the Serial Number and Authentication Code you received from your SonicWall sales representative is entered here. As you add more instances of SonicWall GMS on Windows Server systems to the distributed deployment, use the same serial number used for the installation of the first GMS Windows Software or SonicWall UMA appliance. You can use the GMS Windows serial number to register associated servers if it is a full-retail GMS serial number, but not a Demo or Free Trial GMS serial number.
- Type a friendly name for the system into the Friendly Name field. The friendly name is displayed on MySonicWall to more easily identify the installation on this system. Click Submit.
Note: If this is the first SonicWall GMS that you have registered in a multi-server deployment, the Friendly Name for this system will also be used as the name for the distributed deployment.
- The License Management page displays a completion screen. Click Continue. The License Management page displays license summary information.
After registration, the next step is to select the role for this GMS server.
Registering Associated Servers in a Distributed Deployment
When you have a distributed SonicWall GMS deployment involving more than one SonicWall UMA EM5000 appliance or software instance of SonicWall GMS, you can associate these components during the registration process. A MySonicWall account is required. In a distributed deployment, SonicWall GMS must be registered and licensed on each server and associated with the initially registered instance of GMS. This is accomplished by entering the serial number of the primary instance of SonicWall GMS when registering each subsequent server in the distributed deployment.
When the primary instance of SonicWall GMS is a SonicWall UMA EM5000 appliance, you can download the SonicWalll UMS installer from MySonicWall, so that you can install SonicWall UMS on Windows systems to be used in the distributed
deployment. When registering the software instances of SonicWall GMS, use the serial number of the SonicWall UMA appliance.
Note: The base 10-node or 25-node management license is not automatically increased when additional servers are associated with an existing SonicWall GMS deployment. You can purchase additional node licenses on MySonicWall.
To register a SonicWall GMS instance as an associated server in an existing SonicWall GMS deployment, perform the following steps:
- In a browser, log into the system management interface and click the Register button.
- On the License Management page, enter the same MySonicWall user name and password that you used when registering the primary instance of SonicWall GMS into the appropriate fields and then click Submit.
- On the second License Management page, do one of the following:
- Type the 12 character serial number of the primary SonicWall GMS into the Serial Number field and type the authentication code of the primary SonicWall GMS into the Authentication Code field. The primary SonicWall GMS must already be registered.
- If adding a SonicWall UMA EM5000 as a secondary member of a distributed deployment, the License Manager automatically populates the Serial Number field. You will have the opportunity to add this unit to the existing deployment in a later step.
- If you have an 8 character serial number because you upgraded this distributed deployment from a previous version of SonicWall GMS, click the Click here if you have an 8 character Serial Number link and enter the 8 character serial number of the primary SonicWall GMS.
- Type a descriptive name for the system into the Friendly Name field. Click Submit.
- In the License Management completion screen, click Continue.