One-Click Wireless and Non-Wireless Controller Modes on SonicOS 6.5
05/20/2020 0 2215
SonicOS 6.5 introduces Wireless Controller Mode for deployments in which the firewall is being solely used for providing secure wireless access. Alternatively, you can select the Non-Wireless Controller Mode for deployments in which the firewall should not provide any wireless access. Full-Feature-Gateway mode, which allows all wireless and non-wireless functions is set by default.
CAUTION: When you change the Wireless Controller Mode, you must restart the firewall after clicking ACCEPT on the MANAGE | System Setup | Appliance | Base Settings page.
This feature allows you to either:
- Enable wireless controller mode, which disables and renders uneditable:
- SSL VPN and VPN zones.
- Group VPN and SSL VPN policies as well as the updating of all zones using these policies.
- WAN Acceleration (WXA)
- SIP and H.323 transformations.
- Enable non-wireless controller mode, which disables and renders uneditable:
- Wireless zones, including the default WLAN zone, as well as disabling the creation of wireless zones.
- Internal wireless functions.
- Access points, including L2 and L3.
A new section, Wireless Controller, has been added to the MANAGE | System Setup | Appliance | Base Settings page.
Effects of Enabling Non-Wireless Controller Mode:
Enabling Non-Wireless Mode affects several management interface pages.
- The Edit and Delete icons for wireless zones become dimmed on the MANAGE | System Setup | Network | Zones page.
- The status of access point objects becomes Disabled on the MANAGE I Connectivity | Access Points | Base Settings page.
- Internal wireless zones are disabled.
- Any attempt to enabled and access point or internal wireless is rejected:
Effects of Enabling Wireless Controller Mode:
Enabling Wireless Controller Mode affects several management interface pages. Attempts to enable and/or configure features on these pages are denied.
- The Edit and Delete icons for VPN and SSL VPN zones become dimmed on the MANAGE | System Setup | Network | Zones page.
- VPN is disabled, as shown on the MANAGE I Connectivity > VPN > Base Settings page.
- All interfaces to SSL VPN are disabled on the MANAGE I Connectivity > SSL VPN > Server Settings page.
- Any attempt to enable SIP and/or H.323 options on MANAGE | System Setup > VOIP displays an error message in the lower right corner of the browser window.
- Clicking the View List link displays an error log.
- WXA is shown as disabled.
- Any attempt to enable a zone with VPN and/or SSL VPN results in an error.
Enabling Wireless Controller Modes:
- Navigate to MANAGE | System Setup | Appliance | Base Settings.
- Scroll to Wireless LAN Controller.
- From Wireless Controller Mode drop-down, select the appropriate option required as per the deployment.
- A warning message would display as below:
- Click OK
- Click Accept