Monitoring devices via SNMP using net monitor (SNMP)
03/26/2020 1525 16753
Monitoring devices via SNMP using Net Monitor (SNMP)
NOTE: SNMP management must be enabled on the interface in which GMS communicates with the device for management purposes.
Adding a GMS managed device to Net Monitor
- Navigate to the Monitor tab, then choose the Tools|Net Monitor page.
- Choose button in the upper left hand portion of the screen and choose Add GMS Device.
- Choose the device that you would like to add; in the following example we are adding the unit TZ205LAB.
- When choosing SNMP as the monitoring type, you must enter a Monitor Port, and have the option of configuring the following advanced settings by clicking on the Advanced button.
- Click Advanced.
Community - The community name. (default value is “public”).
Retry - Time to retry, in seconds (default value is “0”)..
Timeout - Timeout length, in seconds (default value is “5”).
SNMP Version - Choose the version of SNMP to be used (default value is “V2C”).
MIB(s)* - Select the MIB(s) you wish to use for polling information (RFC1213-MIB is the default MIB and cannot be de-selected).
User Name - Enter a user name (SNMP v3 only).
Authentication Protocol - Select an authentication protocol form the list (SNMP v3 only).
Authentication Password - Enter an authentication password (SNMP v3 only).
Privacy Password - Enter a privacy password (SNMP v3 only).
Context ID - Enter a context ID (SNMP v3 only).
Context Name - Enter a context name (SNMP v3 only).
- Press the OK button to save SNMP advanced settings.
- Specify how often the SonicWall appliance(s) will be tested in the Polling Interval field.
- Enter the ideal response time (IRT) in the Ideal response timefield (default: 1000 milliseconds).
- Select the Agent that will perform the testing from the assign to monitor list box.
- Optional. To disable monitoring of the SonicWall appliance(s), select Disable.
- To change the icon image that will represent the device(s), click the icon image button and select a new image.
- Click Next.
- Choose realtime monitor items for firewall, Secure Remote Access (SRA/Aventail) or Email Security Appliance (ESA) and click Next.
- Specify Users who can have read-write privileges for the device(s) being added.
- Choose Finish to complete adding a GMS device to Net Monitor.
NOTE: The process of acquiring a new device may take several minutes. To force acquisition of the device, select the device, right-click and go to SNMP |SNMP Re-acquire in the NetMonitor menu bar.
TIP:Custom MIBs may be required for some devices. Custom MIBs allow polling non-SonicWall or non-standard based SNMP enabled devices and to poll information specific to a certain device based on manufacturer ID.These MIBs have to be placed in the GMSVP\etc\mibs folder by the GMS administrator on the Web server and monitoring agent machine(s) in order to use it for probing. Managing Realtime Monitors
When a device is configured for monitoring, the data retrieved form these devices are displayed in the form of a realtime monitor. There are 2 ways to create realtime monitors:
“Creating a Realtime Monitor or Realtime Monitor Template Using a Dialog”
“Creating a Realtime Monitor From a Template”
Creating a Realtime Monitor or Realtime Monitor Template Using a Dialog
- Select the device(s) you wish to create a realtime monitor for.
- In the menu bar, go to SNMP Options |SNMP Manage Realtime Monitors.
Manage Realtime Monitors
- Click on the button on the left side of the screen (under Realtime Monitors) to add a new realtime monitor.
- In the MIB Tree, select your preferences