Important Information Regarding the availability of Capture Client 3.5
03/10/2021 4 People found this article helpful 34,591 Views
On November 11th 2020, we made Capture Client 3.5 generally available for brand new SonicWall customers and any SonicWall Customers that do not have any active Capture Client subscriptions. All customers who had active subscriptions as of November 11th 2020 will continue to operate with Capture Client 3.1 till further notice
Capture Client 3.5 introduces a number of new concepts and features, including:
- Scope of Operations - With Capture Client 3.5, administrators can now choose to perform multiple operations including policy management indifferent scopes, namely Group, Tenant and possible even Account (only for MSSPs and Multi-tenant Distributed Enterprises)
- Policy Management Structure - With Capture Client 3.5, policy structure has significant changed with the separation of 7 types of policies - Client, Threat Protection, Trusted Certificates, Web Content Filtering, Exclusions, Blacklists and Device Control. As opposed to the use of a container Capture Client policy and COnfigurations in Capture Client 3.1
- Policy Inheritance - With Capture Client 3.5, policies can be inherited from a "parent" scope - Groups may inherit from Tenants, which may inherit from Accounts. Inheritance is an administrator choice for all policies except Blacklists and Exclusions.
- Group Ranking - With Capture Client 3.5, there is no longer the ability to create "multiple policies" - this is achieved by creating multiple child scopes each having their own policy. Specifically for groups within a tenant, endpoints that match more than 1 group are associated with a group that has a higher ranking. As opposed to how Capture Client 3.1 used policy priorities.
With these changes, a number of schematic and design changes have been made to how policies are configured and managed and thus it is not trivial to simply "upgrade" tenants from Capture Client 3.1 to Capture Client 3.5.
All existing tenants in Capture Client 3.1 will be automatically migrated to Capture Client 3.5. In order to ensure policy configurations are not corrupted or incorrectly ported over, it will be started after much testing and internal validation. We are targeting to complete all migrations by March 1st 2021.
Migrations will be completed at high speed in batches of multiple tenants - customers will be notified right before their tenants are migrated. All migrations will be planned outside of regular business hours as there is expected to be a brief outage to accessing the management console. Policies will remain intact on endpoints, and protection will not be impacted by this migration.
No action is required from customers to initiate the migration of their tenants. However, please ensure that all your endpoints are always running the latest version of clients to eliminate the need for re-installation of clients after migration. Watch this space for updates on the maintenance releases we will release from now until migration
Please note that all versions prior to 3.1.0 are now end of Suppert. We recommend upgrading to v3.1.1 right away.
If you would like to take virtual tour of Capture Client 3.5, please feel free to peruse our demo videos available via our YouTube channel.
If you would like to take Capture Client 3.5 for a test drive:
- If you have an active Capture Client subscription attached to your MSW Account, please sign up for a new MSW account and activate a trial in a new tenant there.
- If you do not have an active Capture Client subscription attached to your MSW Account, you may sign up for a free trial with your existing account
If you do not have a MSW account, please sign up for one at www.mysonicwall.com