How to upload / upgrade ROMPack of SonicWall UTM appliances in HA
05/04/2020 3 844
This article describes the process to upload / upgrade the ROM pack in SonicWall UTM appliances in HA from Safemode.
Currently, the latest ROMPack version for NSA3600 and above is 126.96.36.199. You can search for the ROMPack version of your appliance by going to System | Status and search for Safemode Version.
To get the latest ROM Pack image, you will need to contact Tech Support as it is not available on MySonicWall.
CAUTION: Before uploading take a backup of the settings file of the firewall under the System | Settings page.
- Before starting this process please take a system backup and export the settings from the active unit.
- Power down the primary device and remove it from the network.
- Have a computer directly connected to the MGMT port of the SonicWall primary device.
- Assign an IP in 192.168.1.x/24 subnet statically on the computer. For Eg: 192.168.1.100 as IP and subnet mask 255.255.255.0
- Boot the device to safe mode by holding the reset button using a paper clip for approximately 30 seconds (Alternatively if you have SSH turned ON on the MGMT port you can use the safemode command to get there)
- Use the URL http://192.168.1.254 on any browser to access the primary unit's safe mode page
- Upload the ROMPack image and boot it from safe mode page (It takes around 3 to 5 minutes to boot up).
- After it restarts and is back up, log back into the device and make sure that the settings are intact.
- Remove the secondary device from the network and put the primary device in its place.
- Perform the steps 2 through 8 on the secondary device.
- Finally, put the secondary device back to the network with HA in place.
- Now both the devices are back in HA with both the units' ROM pack upgraded.