How to Upgrade Sonicpoint Firmware
03/26/2020 1531 20849
You can upgrade SonicPoint firmware in three following modes.
- Managed Mode (Automatic Update)
- Safe Mode (Manual Update)
Managed Mode (Automatic Update)
If a SonicPoint device exchanges Sonic Discovery Protocol (SDP) & SonicWall Simple Provisioning Protocol (SSCP) with a SonicOS appliance, it will enter the managed mode. Under this mode, SonicPoint firmware can be automatic updated.
- Connect one LAN port on the SonicPoint to a SonicOS appliance interface.
- Navigate to the Network | Interfaces page | Click Configure for the interface to which your SonicPoint is connected.
- Configure the interface as following. Here using the standard wireless zone WLAN for the Zone type. For more details you can refer to: How to configure wireless interfaces in static IP mode
- Navigate to SonicPoint | SonicPoints, the connected SonicPoint device will be displayed in SonicPointNs area.
NOTE: The status for the brand new SonicPoint may be "Missing Firmware Image".
Make sure the SonicOS appliance can access to the internet. SonicOS will automatically check the available firmware and the status will change to Downloading Firmware after a while.
After firmware downloading finished, SonicPoint will write the firmware to the ROM and the status for the SonicPoint will change to Operational at last. It means the firmware upgrade for the SonicPoint is finished.
Safe Mode (Manual Update)
Use a narrow, straight object (e.g.toothpick) to press and hold the reset button (a small hole on the SonicPoint) on the SonicPoint for several seconds until the tool LED blinking. It will enter the safe mode.
Default settings for SP in safe mode:
- Connect one LAN port on the SonicPoint to a switch or directly connect to other terminals (PC or laptop). Make sure your PC and the SonicPoint devices are in the same subnet. For example: setting the PC IP as 192.168.1.1/24.
Make sure you have downloaded the SonicPoint firmware to your local PC. You can get SonicPoint firmware from mysonicwall.com or contact SonicWall support service.
- Open the browser
- Enter "http://192.168.1.20" in the address bar. The SonicPoint GUI for safe mode will be displayed.
- Go to System | Firmware | Click HTTP-Select and Upload New Firmware | A window will popup.
Step 5: Click Choose File | Select the prepared SonicPoint firmware| Click Upload button. The SonicPoint will be upgraded.