How to upgrade Firmware on SMA 100 series in High Availability (Hardware Failover) Pair
03/26/2020 55 9898
This article describes the process for upgrading SMA 100 series firmware in High Availability (HA) pair. When the devices are in HA we upload the firmware to the Active device and then synchronize the firmware to the standby device.
NOTE: The firmware doesn't synchronize automatically.
Here's how to upgrade SMA 100 series firmware in High Availability (HA) pair:
- Download the SonicOS SSL-VPN firmware image file from mysonicwall.com and save it to a location on your local computer.
- Login to the active device go to System | Settings.
- Click Export Settings to save the current configuration to a file. You will be prompted to select the location on you hard drive to save the file.
- On the System | Settings page, click Upload New Firmware
- Browse to the location where you saved the firmware image file, select the file, and click Upload and then click on Accept.
- Click the Boot icon in the row for 'Uploaded Firmware'.
- Wait until the Primary device (one with new firmware) reboots (about 5 minutes) and once it does then reboot the secondary device (which is now ACTIVE). That step needs to be done as there is no preemption on SMA 100 series and the primary device will not automatically take over the ACTIVE role again.
- After the secondary device is rebooted please go to the primary device High Availability | Settings. Scroll down and click on button Synchronize Firmware from active device. Current uploaded firmware from primary active device will be uploaded to the peer (standby device) and peer unit will be imaged/booted with the same firmware.
The firmware will be pushed to the standby device and reboots the standby device with the new firmware and current settings.