How to Update Firmware via CLI
08/03/2020 27 7123
This article describes how to update SonicWALL firmware using an FTP server, SSH console, and SonicWALL CLI. Knowledge of SSH management, FTP server configuration, and CLI configuration experience is required in order to complete this task. This article assumes both an FTP server, and SSH console are available.
IT professionals who manage hundreds of SonicWALL firewalls may find this article useful as a reference for their own custom scripts.
- Log into SonicWALL CLI by SSH on any interface with SSH management enabled
- Go into configuration mode by typing "conf" or "configuration" then hit enter
import firmware FTP FTP://FtpServerUsername:FtpServerPassword@ftpServerIPaddress/FilenameOfFirmware press enter
- Upload process begins; if you get an error about username or password or filename this is not a SonicWALL issue, check your FTP server/host settings.
- Type "boot uploaded" to boot the new firmware then press enter
- SonicWall will ask if you are sure, type: "y" or "yes" press enter
- The upgrade process should complete after a few minutes.
Here is a screen shot of a successful firmware upgrade via CLI:
CAUTION: You cannot enter the details above exactly as they are in the image. Use the screenshot as a reference to guide your own correct syntax, e.g., username, password, IPaddress