Support on SonicWall Products, Services and Solutions
Browse Knowledgebase by Category
How to solve "Gateway Anti-Virus Inform: SMB out of order read/write" Event Log Information message
03/26/2020 13 7513
This article shows how to solve Event Logs error "Gateway Anti-Virus Inform: SMB out of order read/write".
Having many entries with this error message may cause slowness or failures when sharing files via SMB protocol.
NOTE: In order to be able to detect this message in Event logs, Logging Level needs to be set as "Inform".
Sometimes the SMB read requests for a file are not starting from the beginning of the file. In this case, the GAV blocks and kills the connection and the following Event Log message is registered:
"Gateway Anti-Virus Inform: SMB out of order read/write"
SMB may try several times to read not from the beginning of the file and GAV will block and kill the connection until, eventually, SMB reads the file from the beginning. Then, the copy succeeds.
By default, the firewall applies SMB read/write ordering enforcement. By following these steps, we will disable the enforcement:
- Go to https://your.firewall.ip/diag.html
- Click Internal Settings and search for SMB
- The option that needs to be modified will be highlighted under Security Services Settings.
- Mark the option "Disable Gateway AV SMB read/write ordering enforcement".
- Click Accept to save the configuration change.