How to set up out of the box without using the Setup Wizard
06/30/2021 93 14090
This article helps us to configure SonicWall appliance (out of the box) manually.
Before we proceed with configuration part and ready to get your network up and running , make sure you have following components and information ready with you :
1. Ethernet cables (Will be used to connect a laptop or Pc to management port of SonicWall and modem to sonicwall)
2. IP information from your ISP (this informwation will be needed in order for sonicwall to get the internet)
3. Laptop or PC (For initial configuration )
1) Connect your Laptor or PC directly into MGMT (Management) port of SonicWall .
2) Connect the Modem to X1 on SonicWall
Note : MGMT port can be different (position of MGMT port) based on the model of the SonicWall.
Step 2 : Laptop IP Configuration
1) Now we need to provide the Laptop with a static IP
2) After this the laptop should be able to ping the Gateway or we can say (192.168.1.254) which is the default ip on Management Port.
3) For the ping test , open the command prompt and type ping 192.168.1.254 and hit enter
STEP 3 : Accessing the GUI
1) Open the browser and in the address bar type 192.168.1.254
2) It will rake you to SonicWall Auth screen asking if you want to use setup wizard or want to configure the device Manually
3) Click on the option for Manual Configuration
4) Please enter the username and password now , default Username is admin and Password is password .
Step 4 : Enabling DHCP and adding a DHCP scope for X0 (By Default X0 subnet is 192.168.168.0/24 and X0 Ip is 192.168.168.168)
1) Click on MANAGE , Navigate to Network | Dhcp Server
2) Enable DHCPV4 Server , Enable Conflict Detection and Enable DHCP Server Persistence
3) Now under DHCPV4 Server Lease Scope , click on ADD DYNAMIC
4) Enable the option Interface prepopulate and select x0 from the drop down list , all the other fields will automatically get updated .
5) Click OK
NOTE : In case you have a local DHCP server on site , then there is no need of following the step number 4
Step 5 : Configuring WAN interface (X1 by default)
1) Click on MANAGE on the top bar , navigate to Network | Interface
2) Click on Configure button for X1 and enter the information provided by ISP (in this example we are using a static ip , you can use DHCP , PPOE ,PPTP or L2TP)
3) Click OK
In case you need to manage sonicwall remotely , please enable management for HTTP or HTTPS , for ping enable the Ping option .
Step 6 : Registering the Device from GUI
1) On the top right side , please click on Register .
2) Enter your MySonicWall account username and password and click on Submit.
3) Click on Continue , SonicWall will get synchronized with License Manager and we will see the Licenses on the device .
This Concludes the Setup Part and the network can be connected on X0 .