Support on SonicWall Products, Services and Solutions
Browse Knowledgebase by Category
How to route Inbound Email from HES ( Hosted Email Security) to O365
03/26/2020 83 13023
When first configuring HES, how do I configure the inbound mailflow coming into to HES to route to O365?
For Inbound mailflow to route to HES, the customer's MX record must be updated to reflect their HES instance:
domain.com MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = domain.com.snwlhosted.com
- Configure the inbound paths on HES to route to the inbound mailflow to O365
- Login to O365 to find the MX record for the instance of O365
- In O365, go to Admin Center > Settings > Domains and double click on the relevent domain; a slideout window will appear listing the MX record)
- Below is the FQDN that will be used to route all traffice coming into HES for 'domain.com' to be routed to O365
Next, configure HES to allow all Emails to be routed through HES to your O365 server ( Inbound)
- Login into the HES portal as admin
- Go to System> Server Configuration> Inbound tab
- Under Settings box give your domain name in the box provided for relay domains
- For the Mail server Host name/ IP section, Specify the FQDN of your O365 server
- Example in this case would be: domain-com.mail.protection.outlook.com:25
- Leave the Routing option to Round-robin and the save the settings
You are now configured to have inbound traffic routed form the internet to deliver to HES for domain.com that will then route to O365.
Be sure to have the Inbound Auditing on HES to track the inbound message being scanned by HES and delivered to O365.
On the message audit page, click Settings
Ensure the 'on' radio button is selected for Auditing inbound email
For steps on restricting inbound mail to O365 not originating from HES, click here.