How to Install a Relay Server for AV Clients with no Internet Connection
03/26/2020 5 10787
This article covers how to install and configure a relay server that AV Clients, without internet connections, can use to get virus definition updates.
For client AV machines that do not have an internet connection but need to receive virus definition updates, a relay server can be used. All AV Clients on the same subnet as the Relay Server will broadcast a request for updates, to which the relay server responds so the clients can update from the Relay Server if it is available. Follow the steps below to configure this.
- Download the VSsetup tool and save it on the C drive:
Login to the SonicWall firewall.
Go to Security Services | Client AV Enforcement. Select "Click here Manage McAfee to Manage McAfee AV Settings", Create Reports and/or Custom Policies. Enter your mysonicwall.com username/password then navigate to Utilities | Installation | Advanced Installation Options | Silent Installation (note the company key).
Under Silently install protection services on client computers section, click Download.
On the next screen use the Language drop down option and select the required language. Click Download. Click Yes when the following Security Alert appears.
On the File Download window, click Save. Navigate to the required location and then, click Save.
- Choose a machine to be the Relay Server. Make sure that the AV Client is not already installed on this machine. If the AV Client is already installed on the machine, follow these steps to uninstall it completely:
- Uninstall all McAfee programs from Add/Remove Programs.
- Download and run the MVS Uninstall utility which can be located in the same area as the VSsetup tool under Optimization.
- Use this command to complete the uninstallation (it will not give you any indication of completion, so wait about 5 minutes after executing this command before proceeding).
C:> vssetup.exe /uninstall
- On the Relay Server, use this command from a command prompt on the C drive (note the company key found in step 1.b.):
C:> vsetup.exe /ck=<company key goes here> This is a silent installation, and may take about 10 minutes to complete.
Once these steps have been completed, the AV Clients will update via the Relay Server.