If you have Access Points managed by the firewall we can Enable Roaming based on 3 configurations on SonicWALL Firewall.
How does Roaming works?
1. Re-association request from Original AP goes to Target AP 2. ACK is sent from Target AP 3. Target AP informs the Original AP (Your client is roaming. Send the buffer packet) 4. Original AP send the buffer packet to Target AP 5. Re-association response is send from Target AP to Original AP (Come join new BSS) 6. Ack from the Original AP
For roaming to happen there should be an overlap of 25% on both the APs coverage area.
1. Navigate to Access Points | Virtual Access Point
2. Click on Virtual Access Point Profiles or Virtual Access Point
3. Click on Virtual Access Points|Advanced
4. Enabled options under Advanced
(a) IEEE802.11r Settings
(b) IEEE802.11k Settings
(c) IEEE802.11v Settings
NOTE:IEEE802.11k/IEEE802.11v/IEEE802.11r are only supported by SonicWave.These settings will take no effect if this vap is bound on a SonicPoint N/AC.