How to Deploy Capture Client MSI file using Group Policy
06/23/2020 23 9972
This Article Explains about deploying Capture Client (using msi file) in windows domain enviornment using GPO.
Before we start making changes to Group Policy please make sure you have all the computers listed under your domain on which you want to install Capture Client (In attached screen shot I will be deploying Capture Client on 4 computers, combination of Windows 7 & 10) and also copy the capture client MSI file to a shared folder.
1) Create a folder (i have created one with name as "install") and copy the Capture Client MSI file to that folder>Right click on that folder>Navigate to Sharing tab>click on Advanced sharing>Share this folder and click on OK. And click on share and grant permission (read permission would be enough) for all the users to whom you would like to have Capture Client installed, and click on OK
2) under Group Policy Management on your Domain, add new GPO (ex: i have added "CC" GPO) right click on your Domain Name and select " Create a GPO in this domain,and link it here" > Give a Name and click on OK.
3) Under the policy settings Navigate to Policies>Windows Settings>Security Settings>Local Policies>Security Options>Scroll to the bottom of the page and do the following:-
Navigate to User Account control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode>right click>select properties and enable “Define this Policy setting”>select Elevate without prompting and click on OK.
Navigate to User Account control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation>right click>select properties and enable “Define this Policy setting”>select “Disabled” and click on OK.
Navigate to User Account control: Only Elevate UIAccess applications that are installed in secure locations >right click>select properties and enable “Define this Policy setting”>select “Disabled” and click on OK.
Navigate to User Account control: Run all administrator in Admin Approval Mode >right click>select properties and enable “Define this Policy setting”>select “Disabled” and click on OK.
Exit from Policy settings window
4) Go to Policy Management window and right click on CC policy you have created in step 2 and you will see Group Policy Management Editor window.
Do the following:-
Navigate to Policies>Software Settings>Software installation>right click and select New>Package
Browse the folder in which you have the install package (MSI file) and select the path for that package (it should be network share path not Local share) and click on Open
Under Deploy Software>Select Deployment Method select Assigned (its selected by default) and click on OK.
exit from Group Policy Management Editor window
5) Go to the client Machine on which you want to install Capture Client and force gpupdate (gpupdate /force), you will be asked to enter yes/No for restarting the PC. Type Y and hit enter PC will be rebooted, log back in once its rebooted and Capture Client will successfuly be installed from shared location using GPO.