How does the new tenant-based licensing model work for Capture Client?
08/14/2020 90 10584
On activation of a Capture Client key against a firewall of a client license, a cloud service product is created within the MSW tenant (previously called product group) that hosts the chosen firewall. This product represents a Capture Client instance that is currently not attached to any firewall – allowing the administrator to share the licenses amongst one or more of firewalls. This licensing model brings a few different benefits:
- Support for enforcing Capture Client against multiple firewalls by sharing licenses from a common pool of endpoint licenses.
- Easily add/remove firewalls for enforcement when adding new sites, transferring devices from one MSW account to another, performing RMAs or executing Secure Upgrades.
- Simultaneously support protection of endpoints that are always roaming.
- Self-service configuration of license sharing without requiring help from Customer Support or Technical Support representatives.
How to activate a key and provision an instance of Capture Client
How to enable enforcement by sharing licenses with firewalls
Capture Client integrates with SonicWall Firewalls to enable enforcement and share devices and user telemetry. This requires the licensing of the Capture Client Enforcement services on the SonicWall firewalls
- VIew License details for the Capture Client product and click on the Manage License Sharing icon () next to your licensed Capture Client Service.
- Update the table to split all available licenses across all firewalls within the same MSW tenant (previously known as product group). Validate the serial numbers of the products for enforcement – you can choose to ignore some firewalls and those will not be licensed for enforcement. You can also come back to this screen to change the split across firewalls under any of the following circumstances:
- Change in number of firewalls in the tenant
- Change in the number of users for the tenant
- Change in the split of users behind specific firewalls
- Confirm the licensing information for your firewall to validate that it has been licensed appropriately.
NOTE: Previously, unused licenses were required to be mapped to a Client License or Client Distribution Group. this is no longer necessary.