How do I migrate firewalls from an existing GMS deployment to new GMS deployment?
03/26/2020 39 8931
This article covers how to carry firewalls over from an existing GMS deployment to a new GMS deployment.
The steps provided in this article cover:
• Migrating GMS from old hardware to new hardware.
• Migrating GMS from Windows system to virtual machine or vice versa.
• Migrating to newer GMS versions without upgrade.
Before proceeding please note the following:
• This method of migration ONLY includes migration of devices (Firewalls etc.) from your existing GMS deployment to new GMS deployment.
• This will NOT migrate any custom configuration / settings (such as Scheduled Reports, Users, Custom Group, Domains etc).
• Reporting data (i.e. Syslog or Flow) will NOT be migrated.
- Log into the current GMS application (/sgms side) and navigate to Console | Management | Settings and click on ‘Create AddUnit XML File’ link. This will generate a XML file containing managed firewall information.
Save the XML file on your workstation.
- Installing new GMS system:
- If using the same Hardware / system: For Windows System
- Call technical support (1-888-793-2830) and provide existing GMS serial number and ask to ‘Reset Trust’ for the serial.
- Uninstall the existing GMS software and restart.
- Download, install and register the new GMS software using the serial and auth code.
- If using new hardware / system:
- Shutdown the existing Old GMS system.
- Download, install and register the new GMS system and use the same IP as of old GMS system. For registration, use the ‘Serial’ and ‘Auth code’ of primary GMS system.
- Log into the new GMS system and complete the role configuration and restart.
- Now login to Application Interface (/sgms) and go to Firewall tab and right-click in the unit panel on the left and select ‘Import XML’.
- In the dialog box, browse to the XML file and Import the addUnit.xml file that you exported in step 1. This will add all of the units managed by the previous GMS installation, and it will create the necessary tasks to acquire the firewalls.