How do I convert an unmanaged SonicWave to managed on the WiFi Cloud Manager?
07/29/2020 44 6529
This article describes the steps involved in converting an unmanaged SonicWave to online and operational on WiFi Cloud Manager (WCM).
- When you register a new 231c/231o/224w or a new 432i/432e/432o via www.mysonicwall.com the device is synchronized to your WiFi Cloud Manager and is placed in an unmanaged state.
- If you have a registered SonicWave 432i/432e/432o and you want to provision and manage the device from the WiFi Cloud Manager the device will be in an unmanaged state by default.
The Wave devices are unmanaged when they are not associated with a Zone.
The following steps will help you to add the Wave unit to a zone which will move them to managed state:
- Log into cloud.sonicwall.com and Navigate to the tenant the wave unit is associated with on MySonicwall.
- All your registered SonicWaves will be listed under the Network | Devices tab.
- Navigate to the Zones tab under the Network tab.
- You will have a default zone listed or you can create a new zone and add the device to the zone.
- Once the device is added to the zone it will inherit the Network Policy and broadcast the SSID's you have configured in the SSID group.
- The wave unit will be in offline status initially and once it acquires the configuration from the WiFi Cloud Manager the status will change to online.
TIP: Please refer to How Do I Register And Deploy A SonicWave Using Wireless Cloud Manager? for the ideal way to register a new SonicWave and configuring SSID's on WCM.
- Log into cloud.sonicwall.com and Navigate to the tenant the wave unit is associated with on mysonicwall, in the below image you can see that 3 Wave devices are Unmanaged.
- Navigate to the zones tab and client on the edit icon which will be displayed when you hover over to the left corner of the zone.
- Once you click the edit icon on the zone page you will be presented with a page where you can add the unmanaged device by clicking the +" icon.
- Select the wave unit you want to all to the zone and click on the add button on the page.
- Once you select the Wave unit and click on the add icon the device will be moved to the zone and will acquire configuration specified in the Network policy.
- The Wave unit will take a few minutes to synchronize the settings and will become online once the provisioning is completed.
The recommended method to register a new SonicWave is the SonicWiFi mobile application.
NOTE: The SonicWiFi mobile application is available on both Android and iOS stores.
The following steps will help you to register a new SonicWave using the SonicWiFi mobile application:
- Download the SonicWiFi mobile application from the Play Store for Android devices and App Store for the iOS devices.
- To log into the application use your mysonicwall account.
- Once you are logged in navigate to the Register SonicWave section by clicking the menu icon which is located at the top left pane of the page.
- You can scan the QR code on the box or the SonicWave unit if the device is mounted you can also type in the required information.
- Once the device is registered you will find and select a Zone that you would want the device to be a part of. For example Default Zone.
- The SonicWave unit is added to a zone it will acquire the provisioning configuration from that zone and will be managed and online.
Perform the following:
- Log into the SonicWiFi application and Navigate to the top left corner of the App where you will find a menu icon.
- In the Menu select the option Register SonicWave.
- In this section, you will be presented with an option to scan/type the registration details of your wave unit.
- Once you have scanned the QR code on the box of the wave unit or typed in the registration information you will be prompted to customize the name of the device and select country code.
- Once the registration is completed you can select the zone you want to associate the SonicWave.
- Once the zone is selected the device will be moved to that zone and will synchronize the settings from the Network Policy from the WiFi Cloud Manager and will start broadcasting the SSID's configured in the Policy.
CAUTION: If you are using the SonicWall UTM device to manage the SonicWaves already then they will appear offline on the portal even if you add them to a zone. The SonicWaves can either be provisioned on the SonicWall UTM or be provisioned and managed via the WiFi cloud manager not both at the same time.