How do I configure SD-WAN using VPN numbered tunnel interfaces?
03/26/2020 174 11010
This article details how to configure SD-WAN using VPN Numbered tunnel interface between Central and Branch Office with both having 2 WAN links each.
The WAN links are configured on X1 and X2 interface of SonicWall at both the sites.
The article presents configuration for 2 VPN tunnels T1 and T2.
VPN Tunnel T1 is terminated on X1 WAN interface and VPN Tunnel T2 is terminated on X2 WAN interface of both the firewalls.
1. The Appliance should be on firmware version 6.5.3.x and above.
2. Configure X1 interface.
Go to MANAGE | Network | Interfaces and Click on Configure. The Interface 'X1' Settings windows is displayed. Follow images below to configure the interface
Repeat step 2 to configure X2 interface.
3. Add the VPN Policy.
Go to MANAGE | VPN | Base Settings and click on Add. The VPN Policy window is displayed. Follow images below to configure the policies.
NOTE: The settings used on the Proposals tab are not shown, but these must be identical on the Tunnel Interface VPNs done on both appliances.
NOTE: On the Advance tab please make sure to bind the VPN policy to the appropriate WAN interface.
Repeat step 3 to configure 2nd VPN policy and bind the policy to X2 interface
4. Add the Tunnel Interface.
Go to MANAGE | Network | Interfaces, under Add Interface field, select VPN Tunnel Interface. The Interface Settings windows is displayed. Follow images below to configure the Interface.
Repeat step 4 to configure T2 Tunnel interface
5. Add the SD-WAN group.
Go to MANAGE | SD-WAN | SD-WAN Groups and click on Add. The SD-WAN Group window is displayed. Follow images below to configure the SD-WAN Group.
NOTE: An interfaces cannot be a member of more than one SD-WAN group.
6. Performance Probe.
Go to MANAGE | SD-WAN | Performance Probes. The Performance Probes Policy page is displayed.
NOTE: For the SD-WAN on VPN Tunnel interfaces, the Performance Probe object is auto created and it cannot be modified or deleted.
7. Add the Performance Class Object.
Go to MANAGE | SD-WAN | Performance Class Objects and click Add. The Performance Class Object window is displayed. Follow images below to configure the Performance Class Object policy.
8. Add the Path Selection Profile.
Go to MANAGE | SD-WAN | Path Selection Profile and click Add. The Path Selection Profile window is displayed. Follow images below to configure the Path Selection Profile policy.
- Backup Interface is picked when none of the interfaces/path in the SDWAN group are up or meet the performance criteria (as per the Performance class).
- Performance Probe default state is UP specifies whether the default state of performance probe should be treated as Up or Down. its enabled by default.
9. Add the SD-WAN route policy.
Go to MANAGE | SD-WAN | SD-WAN Route Policies and click Add. The SD-WAN Route Policy Settings window is displayed. Follow images below to configure the SD-WAN Route Policy.
- The Interface and the Disable route when the interface is disconnected options are grayed out. These options cannot be edited in SD-WAN route policies.
- The Interface option is populated with the SD-WAN group associated with the Path Selection Profile and cannot be changed.
- SD-WAN routes can also be created from MANAGE | Network | Routing section.
10. Complete these steps on the other SonicWall.