How DNS name resolution works when using SonicWall Mobile Connect software with Apple iOS (4.2 and
03/26/2020 15 People found this article helpful 46,124 Views
How DNS name resolution works when using SonicWall Mobile Connect software with Apple iOS (4.2 and above)
Gen6: NSA E10800, NSA E10400, NSA E10200, NSA E10100
Gen5: NSA E8500, NSA E7500, NSA E6500, NSA E5500, NSA 5000, NSA 4500, NSA 3500, NSA 2400, NSA 240
Gen5 TZ Series: TZ 100, TZ 100 Wireless, TZ 200, TZ 200 W, TZ 210, TZ 210 Wireless,
Firmware/Software Version: All versions
Services: SSL-VPN NetExtender, SonicWall Mobile Connect for Apple iOS
With regular Mac OS X/Linux/Windows based client connections, SonicWall can prioritize all DNS traffic over the VPN. However, with iOS based devices (IPhone/iPad/iPod touch) using the SonicWall Mobile Connect client, DNS requests will be sent across the VPN tunnel only when it matches the DNS Suffix configured on the NGFW appliance. This is an intended behavior, due to requirements by Apple.
When using Split Tunnels, only DNS requests that match the VPN DNS Suffix search domains will use the VPN DNS servers. Requests to domains that do not match the VPN DNS Suffixes go to the local (3G/WiFi connection) DNS servers.
Example: DNS Suffix is set to example.com
- Requests to www.example.com will use the remote VPN DNS server.
- Requests to intranet.corp.example.com will use the remote VPN DNS server.
- Requests to www.sonicwall.com will use the local DNS server, as configured by the device's WiFi or 3G connection.
- Requests to intranet.examplecorp.com will use the local DNS server, as configured by the device's WiFi or 3G connection.
The DNS Suffix on the NGFW appliance can be configured on the SSL VPN > Client Settings page.
1. On the NGFW appliance, browse to SSL VPN > Client Settings.
2. Ensure that all required fields are correctly filled in. In this example, we've already configured the NGFW appliance for NetExtender connectivity, and we've just configured the DNS Domain/DNS Suffix (Ex: example.local).
3. Click Accept to save your changes.