Support on SonicWall Products, Services and Solutions
Browse Knowledgebase by Category
How can I use Wildcard with exclusions in McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.x?
12/20/2019 5 24523
How to use wildcards with exclusions in McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.x
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise (All supported versions)
When excluding all files of a particular extension, use the option to exclude files by Type and specify the desired extension.
Wildcards (**,*, ?) are helpful in creating exclusions for VirusScan Enterprise (VSE), but certain rules apply (see examples below):
- Exclude the Favorites folder for all users:
C:Documents and Settings*Favorites
- Exclude any folder named Favorites on drive C:
- Exclude the Temp folder in any location, on any drive.
In this example the following directories would be excluded:
D:windowstempc:documents and settingsAdministratorLocal Settingstemp
- Exclude any file with a .tmp extension in a folder named Temp anywhere on the system:
- Exclude any file with a .html extension anywhere on the system:
- Exclude all files named inifileX (where X is any valid character for a filename) within any folder name beginning with Temp under C:Windows:
- Exclude all files with the tmp extension (*.tmp) in any folder on a specific drive:
In this example any *.tmp files on the D: drive will be excluded: D:***.tmp
CAUTION: Do not select Include Subfolders when excluding a file, as this will produce incorrect results.
TIP: For additional information and examples, review the VirusScan Enterprise 8.x Product Guide.
To set exclusions:
- Right-click the VirusScan Enterprise icon in the system tray and select VirusScan Console.
Select Start, Programs, McAfee, VirusScan Console.
- Double-click On-Access Scanner.
- Select All Processes.
- Click the Detection tab.
- Select Exclusions.
- Select Add.
- Add the relevant exclusion (see examples above).
- Click OK three times to exit the On-Access Scanner.
- Close the VirusScan Console screen.