How can I upgrade SonicOS Firmware?
03/26/2020 7493 91840
This article details how to upgrade the Firmware on the SonicWall UTM devices, including Best Practices for backing up configuration and settings.
Don't want to read? Watch instead!
NOTE: Before upgrading your SonicOS Firmware, please consult the Support Matrix to understand the supported upgrade paths. The following article provides additional information regarding this topic: Can I Import the settings from one SonicWall UTM device to another? (Support Matrix). Read Firmware Release Notes.
Backing up Your Settings
- Click Manage in the top navigation menu. Navigate to Updates | Firmware & Backups. Select the Import/Export Configuration option and save the .EXP File to a safe location.
- On the same page, click Create Backup | Local Backup. This will save a copy of the existing Settings to the SonicWalls non-volatile memory.
CAUTION: Make sure you're completely satisfied with the state of your Settings before creating a Backup. A SonicWall can only hold one Backup Image at a time so creating one will erase any existing versions.
Downloading and Importing the New Firmware
- Navigate to MySonicWall.com and login with the account that your SonicWall is registered to.
- Click Product Management | My Products and locate the device you want to update. Hover on the product item and select the Firmware icon to access the firmware version available.
- Select the Firmware you would like to download or select Browe All Firmware to see all available versions.
- SonicOS Firmware has the following designations:
General Release: General Release software is a mature, widely deployed and proven release, suitable for typical use cases and is the software of choice for reliability. General Releases are used for production environments.
Feature Release: Feature Release software is a new release that introduces major new features in the product. A Feature Release has gone through multiple & thorough engineering, quality, alpha, and beta test cycles and is being launched for general availability. A Feature Release is a candidate to move to General Release after the maturity criteria is met. Please refer to the release notes for list of major features.
Maintenance Release: Maintenance Release software includes bug fixes and enhancements made to a previous release. Maintenance Release is gone through engineering & quality test cycles and is launched for general availability. Maintenance Release is a candidate to move to General Release after the maturity criteria is met. Please refer to the release notes for full details.
Initial Release: Initial release software is the first release of a new product.It is recommended to upgrade to General Release upon availability.
Hotfix Release: Hotfix releases contain the latest fixes and patches, and are provided to customers who are looking to address specific issues. Eventually hotfixes releases are integrated into the Maintenance/General release.
- Once the Firmware version is downloaded, navigate to Manage at the top of the navigation menu. Click Updates | Firmware & Backups.
- Click Upload Firmware and navigate to where the Firmware version is stored on your local device. Click Upload.
Booting to the New Firmware
- After uploading the Firmware you will see it on the Settings page, available as both Uploaded Firmware and Uploaded Firmware with Factory Default Settings.
NOTE: In most deployments the Uploaded Firmware option is preferred, if you accidentally choose Factory Default Settings you can get into the SonicWall using the default IP Address and Credentials for your device.
- For whichever option you'd like to choose, select the Boot Power Icon on the far-right. The SonicWall will begin the process of rebooting, then become unavailable as it loads the new Firmware.
- Once you boot into the new firmware the firewall will reboot automatically.