How can I swap the roles of Primary and Backup Units in a High Availability configuration?
03/26/2020 143 17657
High Availability allows two SonicWall security appliances of the same model to be configured to provide a reliable, continuous connection to the Internet and to your internal network. One SonicWall device is configured as the Primary unit, and the other is configured as the Backup/Secondary unit. In the event of the failure of the Primary SonicWall, the Backup/Secondary SonicWall takes over to secure a reliable connection between the protected network and the Internet. Two appliances configured in this way are also known as a High Availability Pair (HA Pair).
This article describes how to swap the roles of the Primary and Backup/Secondary SonicWall appliances in a HA configuration.
Why would I want to do this?
- If the HA Pair was setup with the wrong devices as the Primary and Secondary Roles.
- If a former Primary device is being repurposed as a Secondary device.
To troubleshoot certain issues with HA Settings and Roles.
- Primary - SonicWall A (Serial Number XXXXXX).
- Secondary - SonicWall B ( Serial Number YYYYYY).
How we want it to be: Desired Setup (As per the MySonicWall)
- Primary – SonicWall B (YYYYYY).
- Secondary - SonicWall A (XXXXXX).
NOTE: Here XXXXXX and YYYYYY are representing the Serial numbers of SonicWall A and SonicWall B respectively.
- Login to SonicWall B first.
- Navigate to MANAGE| High Availability| Base Settings,click HA Devices, you see the Primary device Serial Number as (XXXXXX) and Secondary device Serial Number as (YYYYYY).
- So Primary Serial Number is greyed out, but change the secondary serial number to some dummy number 222222222222.
- Click General tab and change the mode from Active/Standby to None.
- Click ACCEPT.
- Navigate to MANAGE | Firmware & Backups, select Export Configuration under Import/Export Configuration drop down, after disabling the HA on this device(say abc.exp).
- Now Hard Reset the two Units to Factory Defaults.
- Then log in to SonicWall B (YYYYYY) again, and now import the settings (abc.exp) which was exported in step 6.
- Navigate to MANAGE| High Availability| Base Settings, click on General tab, enable the HA (set it to Active/Standby).
- Click on HA Devices, now the Primary device Serial Number Should say (YYYYYY), and Secondary you can go ahead edit and put as (XXXXXX).
- Click ACCEPT.
- Connect the SonicWall A (which was hard reset and booted with factory default settings earlier) to the SonicWall B in a HA setup.
- Then Synchronize the Settings.