How can I send Syslogs to a Analyzer server through a Site to Site VPN Tunnel?
03/26/2020 20 17555
Analyzer: How to Send Syslogs to a Analyzer Server through a Site to Site VPN Tunnel (5.9 & above).
Sending Syslogs to a Analyzer Server through Site to Site VPN
LAN Interface (X0): 192.168.1.1 Mask: 255.255.255.0
Analyzer Server IP Address: 192.168.1.20
LAN Interface (X0):192.168.2.1 Mask: 255.255.255.0
In this scenario we will add two units in the Analyzer server.
- A local SonicWall NSA 2400 UTM device.
- A remote SonicWall NSA 240 UTM device connected over a site to site VPN between the NSA 240 and NSA 2400.
Before beginning the configuration, ensure the following are in place:
- Thesite to site VPN tunnel is upand you are able to reach the analyzer server from NSA 240 device.
- Both of the units are licensed for analyzer
- HTTPand / or HTTPS Management is enabled on the LAN interface of NSA 2400 device
- HTTP and / or HTTPS Management is enabled on the VPN policy
NSA 2400 configuration
- Navigate to Network | Address Objects, Click on Custom Address objects radio button at top of the screen in View Style.
- Click on Add button under Address Objects, to get Add Address Object Window. Create address object for Syslog server IP address as below
Name: Syslog Server Any Friendly Name you would like to give)
Zone : LAN
Type : Host
IP Address: 192.168.1.20 (IP Address of Syslog Server)
Click Add button after typing the information to create object.
- Navigate to Logs | Syslog page.
- Click on Add under syslog server and enter the following information.
Name or IP address: Select Syslog server from drop down list (Address Object which is created for syslog server)
- Navigate to the Log-|Settings.
- Select the Logging level to Inform (recommended) or Debug from the drop down list.
- In order to send syslogs for all the categories, change this syslog option to full green.
- To send syslogs for specific categories, manually enable the syslog logging.
- Then click on Apply to save these settings.
NSA 240 configuration
- Login to the Analyzer server and add the NSA 2400 and NSA 240 units as under:
- Do a packet capture on each SonicWall with the destination IP address as 192.168.1.20 and the destination port as 514. If able to see outgoing traffic, then the units are configured properly.
- If unable to see outgoing Syslog traffic, check the following:
- In the Log | Syslog page of both the devices, check whether the Server IP is correct. Make sure Server port is 514.
- In the the Log | Settings page of each unit, make sure the Logging Level is set to Inform (recommended) or Debug. Make sure all necessary Syslogs categories are checked.
- Make sure HTTP / HTTPS Management is enabled on the LAN interface of each unit.
- In the NSA 240 make sure HTTP / HTTPS is checked under Management via this SA in the Advanced tab of the VPN Policy.
- Make sure there are no Access Rules or Security Services blocking UDP port 514.
If able to see outgoing Syslog traffic in the UTM devices but the Analyzer server is not able to synchronize with the units or create reports, check the following:
- Make sure there are no intermediate devices between the SonicWalls and the Analyzer server blocking traffic.
- Make sure the units added under Analyzer have the correct Serial Number, IP Address, Login Name, Password and HTTPS Port number.
- Disable (or add appropriate exception in) Windows Firewall or any other security application which could possibly block Syslog traffic