How can I install a fresh instance of Analyzer on VMware vSphere?
03/26/2020 1557 33968
This article covers how to install a fresh instance of Analyzer as a virtual machine.
Downloading the Installation File
- Login to your https://www.mysonicwall.com account & navigate to Downloads.
- Select Software Type: GMS.
- Click GMS/Analyzer - Virtual Appliance or GMS/Analyzer - Virtual Appliance 950GB under GMS - Virtual Appliance.
NOTE: It is not recommended to use "GMS/Analyzer - Virtual Appliance 40 GB" for production environment.
- In the Terms and Conditions window, click I Agree.
- Choose Save File and click OK to save the installation file on machine's local drive.
Installing with VMware vSphere
To perform a fresh install of the Analyzer Virtual Appliance using the vSphere client, perform the following steps. (Here GMS - Virtual Appliance 250GB OVA file deployment is shown. The same steps can be followed for GMS - Virtual Appliance 950GB OVA file deployment).
- Launch vSphere, enter the IP address or Name, User name and Password to log on to your ESX/ESXi server.
- In the Home screen, navigate to a view that shows the virtual machines running on your ESX/ESXi server.
- To begin the import process, click File and select Deploy OVF Template.
- In the Source screen of the Deploy OVF Template window, enter the name of the OVA file to import in the Deploy from a file or URL field. To deploy from a file, click Browse and then select the OVA file to import. To deploy from a URL, type in the URL of the OVA file. Click Next.
- In the OVF Template Details screen, verify the information about the selected file. To make a change, click the Source link to return to the Source screen and select a different file. To continue, click Next.
- In the End User License Agreement screen, read the agreement, click Accept, and then click Next.
- In the Name and Location screen, enter a descriptive name for the virtual appliance into the Name field, and select the desired location in the Inventory Location field. You may wish to incorporate the role or disk size as part of the name, as in “Analyzer_VM_Agent_250GB.” Click Next.
- In the Resource Pool screen, select the resource pool within which to deploy this Analyzer Virtual Appliance and then click Next.
NOTE: When deploying a 950 GB file, be sure to select a resource pool with a block size of either 4 or 8 MB.
- In the Datastore screen, select the datastore on which to store the files for the Analyzer Virtual Appliance and then click Next.
- In the Disk Format screen, select the format in which to store the virtual disks for the Analyzer Virtual Appliance. Select either Thin provisioned format or Thick provisioned format, and then click Next.
- In the Network Mapping screen, select the networks in your inventory to be used for the Analyzer Virtual Appliance, and then click Next.
- In the Ready to Complete screen, review and verify the displayed information. To begin the deployment with these settings, click Finish. Otherwise, click Back to navigate back through the screens to make a change.
- The Deploying dialog box shows the progress.
- In the Deployment Completed Successfully dialog box, click Close.
- The name of the new Analyzer Virtual Appliance appears in the left pane of the vSphere window.
Configure Host Settings on the Console
After powering ON the Analyzer Virtual Appliance, perform the following steps to open the console and configure the IP address and default route settings.
- In vSphere, right-click the Analyzer Virtual Appliance in the left pane and select Open Console in the right-click menu.
- When the console window opens, click inside the window, type snwlcli at the login: prompt and then press Enter.
- Console displays a second Login: prompt. Type admin at the Login: prompt and press Enter, and then type password at the Password: prompt and press Enter. The SNWLCLI> prompt is displayed.
- Configure the local IP address for the virtual appliance by typing the following command, substituting your IP address and subnet mask for the values shown here.
interface eth0 10.208.112.175 255.255.255.0
- You can also configure IPv6 address at this step by using the interface command. Or, use the /appliance (System) interface Network | Settings screen to do the IPv6 configuration.
- Configure the default route for the virtual appliance by typing the following command, substituting your gateway IP address for the value shown here.
route --add default --destination 10.208.112.1
- You can test connectivity by pinging another server or your main gateway, for example: ping 10.208.111.1, ping 10.0.0.1. Press Ctrl+c to stop pinging.
- Type exit to exit the CLI, and close the console window by clicking the X.
- Launch the Application by Double clicking the Analyzer shortcut on the desktop.
NOTE: If Java is not installed, the link from the desktop or the URL above may not redirect you to the login page. Kindly install Java and then you should be able to login. The default login/password for the Analyzer 7.2 is username=admin and password=password (there is a reminder in red on the login page in case you forget).
- Once you have logged in, you will be immediately prompted to change your password.
Registering the Universal Management Suite & performing role configuration
- Click on the link to register (highlighted in yellow color) your product to go to the next step.
2. Login into your MySonicWall.com account.
3. Enter ANALYZER in the Serial Number, authentication code is not required and a friendly name. Click Submit.
4. Once the product is registered, you will see the 12-digits serial number associated with the Analyzer.
- Now, we need to Run the Role Configuration (under Deployment | Roles).
- Simply choose a username and passwords for the database in the fields shown below.
- These passwords are not used after the installation and you may never have to use them again. However, it is good practice to store them somewhere safe just in case.
Adding SonicWall Appliances to Analyzer
- Start the browser and go to http://localhost/sgms/auth.
- Click Firewall tab.
- Right click on Global View and click Add Unit to add the SonicWall unit. (You can also add the SonicWall unit by clicking on the highlighted icon above Global View as shown in the below image).
- Fill in the fields as shown in the below screen shot to complete the unit addition process.
- Click OK & the SonicWall unit will be added to the Analyzer GUI.
Preparing SonicWall Firewall
- Login to the firewall appliance.
- Navigate to Log | Syslog page in the GUI.
- Under Syslog Servers, click Add.
- In the new window,
- Name or IP Address: Select the address object of the Syslog Server.
- Port: 514 (By default UDP 514).
- Click OK.
- The Syslog Server IP address will be added as shown below in the screenshot.
- Navigate to Log | Analyzer page in the GUI.
- The Syslog Server Name will be created automatically and check the option Enable Analyzer Settings.
- Click Accept .
- Below screenshot shows that the "Analyzer Settings" has been enabled on SonicWall.