How can I configure the SonicWall WAN / X1 interface with L2TP connection?
12/20/2019 663 11579
Configuring the SonicWall WAN interface (X1 by default) with L2TP address provided by the ISP. (Other WAN configuration: Static IP, DHCP, PPPoE or PPTP )
L2TP mode: Use this mode if your ISP is using a L2TP connection.
- Navigate to Network | Interfaces tab.
- Click Configure for the WAN interface (X1 by default).
- Under IP assignment, choose L2TP from the drop down menu.
- Enter the User name and User password given by the ISP.
- Specify the L2TP server IP address given by the ISP under L2TP server IP address.
- The L2TP (Client) Host name will be given by the ISP.
- If the ISP assigned a static IP address, choose Static under L2TP IP assignment and manually enter the IP address with the subnet mask and gateway router IP address given by the ISP.
- If the ISP is giving out a dynamic IP address, choose DHCP from the L2TP IP assignment Dropdown menu.
- Click Release button, followed by the renew button to obtain an IP address from the ISP.
- Click OK to update your configurations.
How to test the connectivity:
- On the SonicWall, Click System | Diagnostics. Choose Ping in the “Diagnostic utility” drop down in the Sonic OS Standard and Enhanced firmware.
- Ping your ISP’s Default Gateway or any IP that is pingable on the Internet (e.g. 22.214.171.124).
- Also try to ping a website (www.google.com) to ensure that the DNS resolution is working.