How can I block Google Explore in my organization?
12/20/2019 6 4143
Google Explore is a built-in application interface that monitors what you type and responds with related, on-the-fly content. It was introduced in the fall of 2016 and is available for Google Docs. Although this is a helpful feature, some organizations may wish to turn off the Google Explore feature. By implementing the solution below organizations can block the Google Explore feature while allowing access to Google Docs.
- Create a HTTP URI Content partial match object by navigating to Manage | Objects | Match Objects | Add. Add the following two pieces of content to the match object:
- Create a FQDN for docs.google.com (since we only want to drop traffic going to this URL and not other websites). Navigate to Manage | Objects | Address Objects | Add.
- Create an App Control policy by navigating to Manage | Rules | App Rules| Add.
- Name the policy.
- Under Policy Type select HTTP Client.
- Under Address | Destination select the FQDN (created in our example above).
- Under Match Object | Included select the match object (created in our example above).
- Under Action Object select Reset/Drop.
This will block the explore web search and images option as shown below: