Handshake failure with error 193 when connecting SonicWall Mobile Connect from a Windows 8.1 PC to
03/26/2020 8 12123
When connecting to UTM SSL-VPN using SonicWall Mobile Connect from a Windows 8.1 PC, the connection fails with Windows error code 2250.
The logs in the SonicWall UTM appliance will display log message of "HTTPS Handshake: SSL Handshake failure with error 193"
This error occurs when the SonicWall UTM appliance has been configured to use only RC4 Ciphers when accepting SSL connections. The option "Enable RC4-Only Cipher Suite Support" is under Encryption Settings of diag page. Disabling this option will restart the appliance immediately. Moreover, this option must remain checked to pass PCI compliance. Instead of disabling this option, follow these steps to change the cipher settings of SSL VPN:
1. Login to the SonicWall management GUI.
2. Navigate to the SSL VPN | Server settings page.
3. Enable check box Enable Server Cipher Preference
4. From the drop-down under Cipher Methods, select either 3DES_SHA1 or AES256_SHA1.
5. Click on Accept to save the change.
NOTE: Changing the server settings will reset all active NetExtender connections.