FAQ TZ Gen 7
07/07/2021 2 People found this article helpful 83,618 Views
SonicWall is introducing five new firewall series, consisting of TZ270, TZ370, TZ470, TZ570 and TZ670. The new 7th generation TZ (TZ270/370/470/570/670) series, are the first desktop form factor to bring multi-gigabit (2.5/ 5/10G) and/or gigabit interfaces, Secure SD-WAN, built-in and expandable storage, TLS 1.3 support and 5G readiness while delivering ground-breaking performance. Designed for small, mid-sized organizations and distributed enterprise with SD-Branch locations, the new generation TZ series firewalls deliver industry-validated security effectiveness with best-in-class price-performance. The following FAQ addresses sales questions related to these products.
Q: What models are included in the new series? When will it begin shipping?
The Gen 7 TZ series include TZ270/370/470/570/670 series consisting of wired, wireless and PoE variants. All the Gen 7 series offer wired variants, while TZ270/370/470/570 series offer wireless variants. Only TZ570 series offer PoE variant. All Gen 7 TZ series models are currently shipping.
Q: What customer problems do the new TZ models solve?
The new TZ series firewalls help customers solve a wide range of problems including:
- Improve branch office security and connectivity
- Use of point products
- Deployment that can scale
- Need to keep up with emerging technologies
- Rise in IoT and mobile devices
- Need to keep up with the growth of encrypted web connections
- Shortage of cybersecurity experts
Q: Which use cases do the Gen 7 TZ models target?
The Gen 7 TZ series are targeted at the following customers:
- Small and Home offices (single site)
- Small and mid-sized businesses (SMBs)
- Distributed enterprise organizations with Secure SD-Branch locations (e.g. retail and restaurants)
Q: How do I position Gen 7 TZs against the low-end NSa?
High-end TZs and low-end NSa are developed for different use cases. TZs are desktop-form factor appliances focused mainly at SMB and distributed enterprises. Whereas NSa’s are rackmount-form factor appliances that fit well in distributed and enterprise plays. Here are some points of difference between the two solutions.
- NSa are enterprise grade firewalls in rack-mount form factor. Enterprises typically prefer rackmount firewalls vs. having firewall inside a rack mount kit.
- NSa’s offer high port density - NSa 2650 and above include 20+ ports over vs. Gen 7 TZ at 10 ports
- NSa’s offer high VPN numbers. Site-to-Site Tunnels are in thousands vs. hundreds in TZ. There is increased SSL VPN and IPSec VPN connectivity vs. Gen 7 TZ
- Enterprise related SonicOS features such as advanced switching (LAG, LACP, VLAN Trunking), advanced High Availability modes (Active/Active Clustering), increased number of SSO users, increased number of access points supported and increased number of VLAN’s are available only on low end NSa devices and not part of the TZ series.
Q: What OS does the Gen7 TZs run?
It will run the new SonicOS 7.0 operating system and onwards. Downgrade to 6.X firmware is not supported.
Q: What is the benefit of TLS1.3 support?
TZ series supports TLS 1.3, which has several advantages over the older protocols such as TLS 1.2, TLS 1.0 and SSL. It offers many changes that improves performance and security, while eliminating complexities. It is faster, simpler and more secure than the older protocols.
Q: What does 5G readiness imply?
Gen 7 TZ firewalls are 5G ready with a USB 3.0 port that could be used to plug in a 5G dongle for 5G connectivity. It is also backward compatible with 4G/3G technologies with the use of corresponding dongles
Q: What is the use for internal and expandable storages?
Internal storage is mainly used to store logs and diagnostics. Additional features such as reporting will require use of external add-on storage module. The expandable storage supports up to 256GB that enables various features including logging, reporting, caching, firmware backup and more.
Q: Is SFP+ port 10/5/2.5G compatible with 1G SFP transceiver?
Yes, it is.TZ670/570/470 supports 10/5/2.5G interfaces while TZ370/270 supports gigabit interfaces.
Q: Do Gen 7 TZs support dual power supplies?
Yes, TZ670/570 supports dual power supplies (AC) but only one is shipped with the appliance. An optional secondary power supply is available for purchase. TZ270/370/470 series does not include redundant power supplies.
Q: Will we not offer 8x5 support anymore?
Similar to Gen 6 TZs, 8x5 support is available on Gen 7 TZs as a separate SKU for purchase.
Q: Do we have any supported 5G USB dongle so far?
Most of the 5G being launched are MiFi devices which are tethered using USB and we are supporting these at launch. Refer below for the list of devices supported currently.
https:// www.sonicwall.com/support/knowledge-base/what-wirelesscards- and-usb-broadband-modems-are-supported-onfirewalls- and-access-points/170505473051240/
Q: Will Stateful HA be supported on Gen 7 TZs?
Yes, it is supported and is available as a separate SKU
Q: Is BGP included from TZ270 onwards?
Yes, BGP is included at no additional cost.
Q: What is Premier Support add on license?
This is the ability to add Premier support for large customers. You will need an Advanced bundle to qualify for premier support purchase.
Q: Can config data be imported from Gen 6 to Gen 7?
Yes, all equivalent models will work at launch. For example, TZ400 config can be imported into TZ470. There will be few changes for non-equivalent models.
Q: On what GMS and NSM versions are Gen 7 TZs supported?
Gen 7 TZs are supported on:
- GMS version 9.3 and beyond
- NSM version 2.1 and beyond
Q: Will Gen 7 TZ support Unified Policy?
No. Gen 7 TZ series supports SonicOS 7.0. Unified Policy is available as part of SonicOSX.
Q: What are the Gen 7 security bundles and when are they available?
There are three new bundles for the new TZs.
- The 1st bundle is the Threat Protection Service Suite. Available exclusively on TZ270/370/470 series, this costeffective bundle includes basic security services needed to ensure that the network is protected from threats. It includes Gateway Anti-Virus, Intrusion Prevention and Application Control, Content Filtering Service, Network Visibility and 24x7 Support.
- The 2nd bundle is the Essential Protection Services Suite. This bundle includes just the essential security services needed to ensure that the network is protected from known and unknown threats. It features Capture Advanced Threat Protection with RTDMI Technology, Gateway Anti-Virus, Intrusion Prevention and Application Control, Content Filtering Service, Comprehensive Anti-Spam Service, Network Visibility and 24x7 Support.
- The 3rd bundle is the Advanced Protection Services Suite which extends the security from essential suite to provide advanced security for the network. This bundle includes essential bundle services along with cloud management and cloud-based reporting for 7 days. Optional Premier support add-on is available for purchase.
At launch, Threat, Essential and Advanced protection bundles will be available.
Q: Will the new security services bundles work for the older generation of firewalls?
No, the security bundles – threat, essential and advanced protection are available only for the new Gen 7 TZs.
Q: Will AGSS and CGSS be available for Gen 7 TZ?
There will be no AGSS and CGSS support for Gen 7 TZs;only Threat, Essential and Advanced bundles will be supported.
Q: Is this bundle going to be included in the 3 & free promo?
No. Gen 7 series are available at discounted pricing for SonicWall customers through the Customer Loyalty Program (Secure Upgrade Plus and Competitive Trade-in).
Q: Will Gen 7 TZs apply to FlexSpend? Are they E-Rate eligible?
Yes, FlexSpend credits can be used for the Gen 7 TZs. They are also E-Rate eligible.
Q: Will there be different type of yearly payment SKUs, such as 1 year, 2 years and so on?
TotalSecure bundles are available for 1 year and 3 years. Secure Upgrade Plus bundles are available for 2 years and 3 years. A la carte services will be available for 1-5 years. The price list will include 1/3/5 years and other years can be found in hidden price list.
Q: Can I upgrade from Gen 6/6.5 to Gen 7 firewalls?
Yes, upgrade from Gen 6/6.5 to Gen 7 is supported via Secure Upgrade Plus.
Q: Will Secure Upgrade Plus license be transferable from Gen 6 TZ to Gen 7 TZ?
Yes, relevant services will transfer based on new bundle offerings. There will be no additional credit for newer services included with the Gen 7 bundles as part of the license transfer. For example, AGSS will transfer over all of Capture ATP, CFS, Gateway AV/IPS/App Control and 24x7 services over to Gen 7 TZ.
Q: Can you export configuration from Gen 6/6.5 and importto Gen 7?
Yes. Please check the published upgrade matrix guide for model specific details on upgrades.
Q: Will Gen 7 TZs be added to Security-as-a-Service (SECaaS) V1 and V2?
Yes, SECaaS SKUs will be available after product launch. On TZ270/370/470 series SECaaS is planned for set up by the end of 2020.
Q: Will the new TZ models be available on Live Demo?
Yes, the new TZs will be available on livedemo.sonicwall.com after product launch.
Q: What resources are available to support sales of the TZ models?
SonicWall has created a series of tools to help you sell the new series models. Many will be available at the time of the public launch while others will follow in the weeks after. Sales tools include: data sheet, FAQ, competitive documents, sales aid, customer presentation, product hot sheets, install base upgrades, competitive upgrades and more.