Failed to Unjunk messages from the Junk Box
12/20/2019 1083 10193
When trying to release / unjunk a message from your junkbox, you may get an error similar to below screenshot:
- Make sure the backup SMTP path is valid and pointed to the mailserver. Go to: Systems | Monitoring | Name or IP address of backup SMTP servers. Run the 'Test Fallbacks' test and see if it's successful or not.
- See if the mailserver has any kind of 'Sender Filters, Intelligent Message Filters and so on..." If so, turn it off. On Exchange 2003, look at the screenshot below. Third party programs such as antivirus and filtering software can also cause problems.
- Also make sure the Email Security has a fully qualified hostname, rather then a single name (es.domain.com vs es) else the mailserver (ex: Exchange) may reject the message due to syntax errors. (SMTP error code 501).
See below from a snippit from the webUI log that that shows that error.
rc: ado@mydomain, dst: firstname.lastname@example.org, secureKey: acah-ajcd-aabb-fhan-bjff-biaa
2008-07-10 23:05:54 tz=GMT+9:30 sonicwall. - EXCEPTION THROWN JunkBoxManager.doDeliver(): Failed to deliver. 20080710_sonicwall/store_20080710030601.mlx Try backup smtp. : javax.mail.SendFailedException: Sending failed;
nested exception is:
javax.mail.MessagingException: 501 5.5.4 Invalid Address
- Another test is to telnet to the mailserver and mimic the SMTP transaction. Use the same from: email address that shows in the Junk Summary page of the Email Security.
-in some cases a "Relaying Denied" or similar error is seen. This can happen is a users PRIMARY email address is different then the primary Domain, e.g. users primary email is email@example.com, while the primary domain is SonicWall.com. In this case, there are two options
1) change the primary address;
2) allow Email Security to Relay.
To troubleshoot the issue:
1. Change logging to Log Level Debug. Navigate to Systems | Advanced | Other Settings
2. Click the Manage button, select Debug from the drop down menu, check the Adhere to default level box
3. Unjunk a message from the Junk Box.
4. The webUI log will tell you if the email was successfully unjunked or not. Go to: Systems | Advance | Download System Log Files | commonlogs:webUI, grab todays date. (ex: 11.log). Do a search either by the from: or the to: email address and find the transaction.
NOTE: Logs are not available in the Hosted Email Security service. If log review is needed, you must contact a support engineer.