Support on SonicWall Products, Services and Solutions
Browse Knowledgebase by Category
Factory Reset in High Availability Environment
03/26/2020 53 13508
This procedure describes how to factory reset a SonicWall in HA environment
N.B. This operation will cause a disruption of your service. A maintenance window is recommended.
- Switch off both firewalls and disconnect all the cables (including the HA link) from both of them.
- Do a backup copy of your settings: How to Save a Backup Copy of Your Configuration Preferences (Current Settings)
- Save your custom certificates from System | Certificates: only if there are imported certificates.
- Reset the primary firewall:
How To Put the SonicWall into Safe Mode
- After the reboot, the firewall is reachable on the IP 192.168.168.168 (you need to change your NIC's IP to reach the firewall).
- Log into the GUI and import the settings backup from System | Settings | Import Settings unless the Technical Support advised to don’t use it. If so:
- Configure your firewall from scratch
- If you are following this procedure because you did a downgrade before, you can only import a settings backup which has been exported before the downgrade or unsupported import action.
Now follow from Step 2 to Step 5 for the secondary firewall.
After both firewall are operational and the primary is correctly working with the right configuration:
- Connect all cables, including the HA link.
- Enable HA on the secondary
- The Primary Firewall should be in ACTIVE state and the secondary in STANDBY.
You may need to synchronize firmware and settings from High Availability | Advanced in the primary firewall.