Configuring Net Monitor
03/26/2020 1062 12583
Configuring Net Monitor
The SonicWall GMS Net Monitor periodically tests the status of SonicWall appliances and other network devices. Once configured, it enables you to monitor the status of your network and immediately respond when SonicWall appliances and other network devices become unavailable.
The Net Monitor enables you to categorize different groups of SonicWall appliances or other network devices. You can categorize them by device type, geography, or any other organizational scheme. Additionally, you can assign devices within each category a high, medium, or low priority.
GMS NetMonitor gives you the ability to search for devices using the Find feature:
1. In the menu bar, go to Edit > Find.
2. Type a search string in the Look For field.
3. You can optionally choose to Match case or to find only the Whole word in your search.
4. Click the Find button to search all views for your search term, results are displayed below.
5. Double click on the device you wish to display and it will be found highlighted in the NetMonitor window.
Note: After making an initial search, you can use F3 (find next) and Shift+F3 (find previous) to move easily between found devices without having to keep the Find window open.
Viewing Device Status
GMS NetMonitor provides the ability to view device status for all monitored devices:
1. In the NetMonitor window, select the device(s) you wish to view device status for.
2. In the menu bar, go to Tools > Status.
3. The Device Status window displays device specific attributes
Note: Multiple Device Status windows may be opened simultaneously.
When you add a new device to monitor, you will be able to select a category, priority level, how often the device is tested, and the type of test that is used. The Net Monitor currently supports five types of tests: Ping, TCP Probe, HTTP, HTTPS and SNMP.
Navigating the Net Monitor UI
There are High, Medium and Low priority devices. To switch between categories, click a category tab. To reconfigure the settings for a device, right-click the device and select Properties.
The Status Display shows the status of all devices within the category. If all devices are reachable, all three displays will be green.
To change the priority for a device, drag and drop its icon to a new Priority Category. To move a device between categories, drag its icon to the tab of the new category and drop it in the appropriate Priority Category.
To configure Net Monitor preferences, perform the following steps:
1. Click the Monitor tab.
2. Expand the Tools tree and click Net Monitor. The Net Monitor screen displays.
3. Select Preferences from the Tools Menu.
4. To view each category on its own page, select Each from the View Type list box. To view all categories on one page, select All.
5. To configure the Net Monitor to automatically refresh the status of monitored devices, select the Enable auto refresh while loading check box and specify the
6. In the Monitor tab of the Preferences window, select a Minimum Severity to Show Alert in Dashboard from the drop-down menu.
7. In the Filters tab, select which devices will be displayed in the Show devices by status area. To view all devices, select the Select All check box.
8. In the Table tab, To view the default table color, select Default. To pick a custom color, select Custom and choose a color from the color selector.
9. When you are finished, click Apply. To cancel and start over, click Cancel.
Source: SonicWall GMS 4.1 Administrator’s Guide