Configuring iPod/iPad/iPhone L2TP Client to connect to SonicWall UTM appliances
03/26/2020 29 17504
This document explains how to configure the iPhone L2TP Client access to the SonicWall WAN GroupVPN SA using the built-in L2TP Server. This guide is intended to be followed AFTER KB Article 5378, titled, “UTM: Configuring L2TP Server on SonicOS Enhanced
List of IPSec and L2TP client proposals
Important: To successfully establish a VPN tunnel the L2TP (VPN) client and the Remote VPN device must agree upon the same set of Proposals/Transform Payloads (differs from client to client), please refer the following article for complete details: UTM - VPN: List of IPSec and L2TP client proposals
Procedure: iPhone Configuration
Follow these steps to configure the iPhone to connect to the SonicWall GroupVPN SA using the built in L2TP Server.
Step 1: From the Home Screen, press the Settings icon
Step 2: Next, select VPN from the Settings menu.
Step 3: In the VPN menu, choose the heading titled, Add VPN Configuration
Step 4: In the Add Configuration menu, make sure L2TP is selected.
Step 5: Fill out the Required fields, then press save when you are done.
• Description: This is a friendly name for your VPN configuration.
• Server: This is the WAN IP address of your SonicWall
• Account: This is the user account created for accessing the network via VPN
• RSA SecurID: Not used in this configuration.
• Password: If left blank, every time a connection is established, a prompt for your password will appear. If completed, then the iPhone will store your password for future connections.
• Secret: This is your pre-shared secret for your VPN connection.
• Send All Traffic: This will allow for either split tunnel or route-all depending on VPN configuration. This example will use the route-all config.
Step 6: The saved configuration will appear on the VPN screen. You can then slide the VPN to the “ON” position, and your iPhone will begin IPSec communication.