Certificate errors while accessing the SonicWall web management using Internet Explorer
03/26/2020 76 18226
Certificate Errors while accessing the SonicWall web management using Internet Explorer.
Internet Explorer displays one of the following warnings with the self-signed (default) SSL certificate of the SonicWall:
- Untrusted Certificate
- Certificate Invalid
- Mismatched Address
- There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.
When you click on the view certificates; it shows a red cross on the certificate and invalidates it.
This error message is IE’s normal behavior with the self-signed certificate of SonicWall because IE does not treat SonicWall as a trusted CA.
To get rid of these error messages make sure that
- A valid certificate signed by a trusted Certificate Authority or third party CA can be installed on the SonicWall device.
- The common name on the SonicWall certificate should be same as the unit's fully qualified domain name (FQDN).
- To verify this: Navigate to MANAGE | Appliance | Base Settings page to match the unit's LAN IP address. If assigned, you may wish to use the unit's fully qualified domain name (FQDN).
- If the time stamp on the certificate is invalid or the certificate is expired; get a new certificate form the CA.
- Install the self-signed certificate; so next time the user logs in; should not receive the error message or the users may proceed without concern despite the certificate error.
Certificate installation procedure
- Click on the browser’s address bar and ‘Certificate error’.
- Click on View Certificates.
- Click on Install certificate.
- Welcome to the Certificate Import Wizard' windows will appear click Next.
- Let the 'Automatically select...' option selected click Next.
- Click on Finish on the next window then it'll prompt for a security warning, just click Yes.
- Close the browser and then open up a fresh browser window and check for error this time.
- Now when a user clicks on the security padlock beside the address bar; it should show something like the below screen shot.