Antivirus: What to do if you suspect or know your computer has been infected by a virus or other th
03/26/2020 10 10665
Antivirus: What to do if you suspect or know your computer has been infected by a virus or other threat
What to do if you suspect or know your computer has been infected by a virus or other threat
This article helps you determine what to do if you discover or suspect a virus infection.
IMPORTANT: For current information about viruses and threats, always consult the McAfee Threat Center (Avert Labs). See the links in the Related Information of this article.
What to do next
- Ensure you have the latest Microsoft Security updates installed.
Security updates are available from Microsoft Update, Windows Update, and the Microsoft Download Center.
- Verify you are using the latest McAfee DAT files and run a manual update if necessary.
- For the latest security updates and DAT files, see http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security_updates/dat.asp?region=us&segment=enterprise
- For information on how to Manually update Virus definition files, see SonicWall KB ID 5802
- For up to date information on all Mcafee DAT files see: http://vil.nai.com/vil/DATReadme.aspx
- If you know the threat name, search the threat library for detailed information and additional removal instructions. http://home.mcafee.com/VirusInfo/
- If the threat is not removed, visit the Threat Center and submit a sample to http://www.webimmune.net. For more information on how to submit a sample to Mcafee, See SonicWall KB 5795
- If you suspect you have been infected but no virus has been discovered, submit a sample to http://www.webimmune.net.
NOTE: Do not send samples to SonicWall Technical Support as these will be returned and cannot be dealt with by standard support staff.
Threat Center (McAfee Avert Labs): http://www.mcafee.com/us/threat_center/
Search the Threat Library: http://vil.nai.com/
Submit a virus sample: https://www.webimmune.net
Risk Assessment and Avert Labs Recommended Actions: http://www.mcafee.com/us/threat_center/outbreaks/virus_library/risk_assessment.html
Breaking security information from McAfee Avert Labs via:
McAfee Avert Labs Blog: http://www.avertlabs.com/research/blog
AudioParasitics - The Official PodCast of McAfee Avert Labs: http://podcasts.mcafee.com/audioparasitics
To sign up for McAfee Avert Labs Security Advisories visit: http://www.mcafee.com/us/threat_center/securityadvisory/signup.aspx
If you believe a threat has made it past SonicWall's Gateway Anti-Virus:
- Please submit a sample of the threat to SonicWall analysis.
- Submit samples in a zip file to SonicWall via: https://threat_samples.eng.sonicwall.com/vx_sample_upload.html
- You will receive a submission ID and usually receive a response within 24/48 hours of your submission.
***Please note that SonicWall Tech Support does not provide or assist with Virus removal as part of it scope of support. If you need assistance with virus removal, you can purchase fee based virus removal support from Mcafee. Mcafee fee based Virus Removal Support can be accessed here: Virus Removal Service