Support on SonicWall Products, Services and Solutions
Browse Knowledgebase by Category
A website is blocked due to multiple category ratings and you need to allow it
03/26/2020 65 14439
This article explains how to configure the CFS custom categories to overwrite the category ratings from the CFS Server.
Configuring the Custom Categories, when traffic is going to a website indicated in them, the SonicWall will use your custom category rating instead of the CFS Server category ratings.
We are going to show how to solve the issue with the following example.
- Assuming that you're blocking the Category 49: Freeware/Software Downloads
- You're trying to reach whatsapp.com which is rated as Category 49: Freeware/Software Downloads and Category 31: Web Communications
- Whatsapp.com will be blocked since the Category 49 is blocked.
You can solve this issue using the Custom Categories:
- Login to your SonicWall firewall and go to Manage | Security Services | Content Filter and Enable Custom Categories:
- Click on Add and add the following Custom Category:
This way you're saying to the firewall that when there is a web request to "whatsapp.com", instead to search the rating on the CFS server, it will use the local Custom Categories.
Whatsapp.com will now be rated as Category 31: Web Communications only and it will be allowed.
NOTE: To see the CFS Server category ratings of a website, visit: http://cfssupport.sonicwall.com/