Multiple Backup Methodologies
Offering continuous data protection and scheduled point-in-time snapshots, Dell™ SonicWALL™ Continuous Data Protection (CDP) v6 makes data protection and recovery flexible, responsive and easy.
The CDP v6 file-set methodology.
CDP captures and protects business-relevant data through the following process:
- At determined intervals, CDP initiates Microsoft® Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) to capture full snapshots
- The CDP agent breaks these down to individual data blocks
- The CDP agent compares these with existing blocks within the file-set footprint on the appliance
- The CDP agent compresses and sends only changed blocks
- The CDP appliance stores the changed blocks as an incremental full version within the file-set footprint and catalogues them as revisions
By integrating continuous data protection technology with VSS, IT organizations benefit from constant protection plus granular point-in-time snapshots, which support data recovery and disaster resiliency, Recovery Point Objective (RPO) and recovery responsiveness.